Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reluttr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
As the title says, I have a external hard drive I was using with my windows machine. But now I would like to use it with my mac.

However I do not want to loose any of the files on the hard drive, so when I tried to temporarily move the files onto my mac I keep getting a error code of -8062.

Does anyone know a way I can easily temporarily back up the drive, format it into a mac compatible format, and then place the files back onto it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
First, Mac OS X can read NTFS drives natively. You can enable your Mac to write to NTFS, as well.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

reluttr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
I would format to HTFS. Native OSX file system, but GGJ has given you all the tools you need to go down other routes if you wish

Well this is actually what I want to do, but I cannot figure out how to actually back up the drive temporarily so that I can format it to HTFS. When I try to drag the contents of the drive to my mac it gives me the error -8062 and locks up finder. The only way to delete the temporary files from the defunct transfer is to actually relaunch finder.

I am hoping someone will be able to tell me how to back up the drive before I format it. The total ammount on the drive is probably less than 200GB. But alot of it is photos I have taken, itunes backups, and photoshop projects. So I dont really want to loose any of it if possible.

Is there a way around error -8062 so that I can format the drive?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Well this is actually what I want to do, but I cannot figure out how to actually back up the drive temporarily so that I can format it to HTFS. When I try to drag the contents of the drive to my mac it gives me the error -8062 and locks up finder. The only way to delete the temporary files from the defunct transfer is to actually relaunch finder.

I am hoping someone will be able to tell me how to back up the drive before I format it. The total ammount on the drive is probably less than 200GB. But alot of it is photos I have taken, itunes backups, and photoshop projects. So I dont really want to loose any of it if possible.

Is there a way around error -8062 so that I can format the drive?

Windows partition or Windows PC will do the trick. Just borrow a friends laptop if you don't have a Windows partition and then dump the files on there, format and dump it back to the FAT HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.