i want hack for tethering but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by italiano40, Jun 27, 2009.

1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

ok so i want to hack my AT&T for tethering but i want to know if AT&T puts a charge on your bill if you use it does anyone know

2. pendo macrumors regular

yep, no one knows for sure yet if the mobileconfig file that people are using to enable tethering will cause ATT to charge...should know in a month or so.

If you jailbreak, PdaNet works and I have never been billed for it although it is not as smooth of an experience

3. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

yea i am not into jailbreaking, just wanted to know about the hacked tethering hopefully some one will post or reply to give me an answer

4. djrayz macrumors newbie

I've ran the carrier file update (AT&T 5.0) on my 3G S and my brothers 3G (our iPhones are on the family plan together). I was able to get MMS working on both of our phones along with internet tethering.

I have been running internet tethering on both iPhones and I haven't seen any additional charges on my account.

Since I got the 3G S on launch it doesn't allow me to see the data usage on my iPhone number. But on my brothers 3G, it just shows the normal usage and there aren't any extra charges or indications that relate to tethering or *special* data usage.

As for the MMS stuff, again I can't see anything on my phone number but on my bro's 3G the call/text/mms log shows that he's sent out multimedia messages. The really cool thing is that there aren't any additional charges for those messages being sent.

I also have a Pantec Duo on my family plan that is Media Net/Pay Per Use on MMS messages. Everytime I send or receive an MMS thru that phone, I get charged by the kilobyte (b/c we don't have a data plan activated for it).

Overall, from my understanding AT&T has to have some type of special triggers on your bill that would track certain activity in order to charge you for it. iPhones fall under the category of unlimited data (thus no Pay Per use for Media Net stuff) and I think thats why I can get away with MMS on our iPhones right now.

Who knows, maybe by the end of summer AT&T might add some triggers on peoples bills so that MMS and tethering can be enabled for a certain price. Or since people are paying a lot for their service, they just might include it all for free for current customers and adopt new pricing structures for new customers.

I just thought I'd share my insights.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The point of my 1st post was whether they'll charge for it is TBD. In the meantime, they could charge you later for anything you do before they announce officially what they're going to do. The TOS is only for use of the iPhone in the iphone data plan, not tethering. So, if you use tethering on your phone now, they could, and they'd have all right to do it, charge you for that use separately. There's been plenty of threads arguing whether they should be able to charge us, but the TOS is what it is. So, user beware. It's a risk I'm not willing to take.