I want iTunes to require authorization to play...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stdio5, Jun 29, 2010.

1. stdio5 macrumors newbie

I have imported a large number of CDs into my iMac, and I realized recently if someone managed to copy the MP3s off of my computer with a simple USB drive, they could steal my entire library! Is there a way to encode my ripped tracks with DRM to force iTunes to check if the computer is authorized to play them? I think I remember there was an early version of iTunes that allowed you to encrypt your own tracks with FairPlay DRM. Any thoughts?

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

You're worried about your music, but not other apps and documents?

If you have untrustworthy people using your computer you're better off making separate accounts, there are far worse things they can steal!

Stop being paranoid! You won't loose your music!

3. breathesrain macrumors regular

Why would you care? They would have no incentive to delete your music...if that's what you're worried about you should be looking for different solutions. The scenario you seem to be thinking of would result in no harm to you, as far as I can see.

I mean, it would be one thing if someone copied all my terrible poetry. But music? Hell, if they want it I'd burn a couple of DVDs.

That's legal, right? :D

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

You don't have a backup of any of your files? I have my iTunes library (100GB - all music) backed up onto an external, as well as my Aperture library (and other files).

5. stdio5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah... I know it sounds strange... but...

I have a large collection of music that I don't want to share.. is there anyway to encode it so it can't be played without the computer being authorized? Did iTunes ever have that feature?

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't see why others have your music is a bad thing for you. I'm glad that iTunes doesn't have this feature. It would be annoying every time I needed to transfer between my computers.