I want just ONE screen of Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Oct 13, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I miss the days where it was just one screen of Apps. I wish there was a way to do that and still keep the other Apps tucked away... instead of just on another page. WIth thousands of Apps out now, Apple should implement a way to have folders. Remember the good old days of WebApps where you could just leave them as bookmarks in Safari... that way they didn't take up room on your home screen? I'd like a bookmarks-type page for regular Apps. Doesn't seem that hard to do. Anyone with me?

2. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Totally!

But don't just tell us, tell Apple too.

3. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

If jailbroken there are a lot of different ways to do this. There are app launchers and you could also use categories to organize your apps or hide them altogether and launch them through a separate application.

4. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

...like windows mobile does? :D

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

There should be a way to hide apps.

Say... when you hold on an icon, they jiggle.. then you have your X button to delete it, and you have another button to hide it. :)

To get the app back, you do the same thing but they're automatically put on the last page, just go to that page, after you've held any icon, and hit another button to add it back to your regular homescreen.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

all you have to do is jailbreak and use Categories.

otherwise, you're SOL.

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Not a bad idea. I like having all these apps, but I don't really like seeing them. I find that I hardly ever use any 3rd party apps because the iPhone does most of what I want by default... but, sometimes those extra apps are helpful in certain situations.

8. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

This will never happen.

You could just stop installing all the useless apps you never use.

9. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

There is a DOCK app in cydia. It lets you drag from the bottom right or bottom left of the screen and drag up and choose app quickly. It is great.

Attached Files:

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I use them... they're handy, but most of the time I just use the basic iPhone features. There are a few times where the games ease bordom and a few times where I need to access my computer with VNC. Then there's AIM that doesn't work in the background, so it's just as useful as a webapp anyway.

11. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Yet another reason to break free of Apples tyranny. You can have apps running in the background through an app in cydia.

12. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Shifting screens does the same basic thing as folders do so not sure what the big QQ is about. The only thing I'd want folders for is to group similar apps but I already have a good system in place so not a big whoop.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The problem is, people are not all the same.

Just as some are aural learners, others visual, and still others hands-on, so too do people interact with devices differently.

Everyone builds a model in their head of how they think a device (or application) works, or should work. If it doesn't fit that model, it becomes confusing and difficult to use.

This is also where the concept of an easy mode for beginners, and more options for advanced users, comes in.

Choice is good. Some people understand folders, others never will. (My wife for example.) Some like multiple pages, others do not.

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The problem is... you can't fit everything in the Dock... so if you're on page 5 and all your favorite apps are on page one, you have to swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe to get to page 1 again. It would at least be handy if you could tap the clock in the menu bar to jolt to page one, but they didn't make it like that.

15. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Or you can tap on the left (right) of the Page Indicators rather then doing the swiping motion. A few seconds faster, though it doesn't solve your problem.

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So, tap, tap, tap, tap. It still makes the page switch animation.

17. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

18. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Your model would just end up with tons of clicking. Digging down to get into all the folders.

And obviously you'd end up overflowing all those folders :rolleyes:

You want tons and tons of apps, but "just ONE screen of apps" - think about that for a minute. A page full of folders (and I imagine you'll want sub-folders, too. WHY NOT, right?) isn't "just ONE screen of apps" - it's a clicking nightmare.

19. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Swiping is not efficient at all. In the beginning its nice on the eyes but after the novelty has worn off you begin to question its use. Folders on the other hand allows for great organization and quick access to your apps.

20. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

As I said, it doesn't solve your problem.

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm not so much worried about clicking. I just don't wanna look at all those apps all the time.... and if there are dots at the bottom, I have a habit of swiping around for no reason wondering what to do.

22. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

I would be very happy if they put in a way to jump from anywhere to page 1 like you outlined... it seems like having a shortcut like that would only make sense.

I'd like the ability to have something resembling folders as well- being able to hide all my games under one icon for example would be very useful.

23. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Speaking of jumping to page one... there's an option in the Preferences to have the double-tap home shortcut go to the home screen. At first I though that double-tapping home would bring me to page one, but it simply does not do anything, but take you out of your current App (like a single tap). What a waste of an option that is.

24. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I find it easier to swipe once or twice than to tap through an orgainzation application's gui to find the app I want.

25. macduke Suspended

macduke

That's basically an option to turn it off for people who accidentally click that button twice.

I'd like a double home click option added: a pref panel for all the things on the iPhone that use power. 3g, wifi, bluetooth, location services, screen brightness, and airplane mode. all conveniently placed on the same screen. that would make my iPhone usage so much easier since I'm always changing options to save battery life, or to use the iPhone as a flashlight at night.