I want Lion and not Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Tissue Paper, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Tissue Paper macrumors regular

Hi.

I'm wondering in the near future if I wanted to upgrade a computer from Snow Leopard to a Lion (because the app store is annoyingly making all the good applications not compatible to Snow Leopard anymore), but I'm not sure I want Mountain Lion yet. The computer I want to try it on is very old (2008); so I'm not sure it can handle Mountain Lion. Is there a way to install Lion only? I can't find it in the app store.

Also what will happen to all my apps and data if I upgrade? Will they still remain where they are?

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

10.8 is an improvement over 10.7. I doubt that you would find any member of this forum who would prefer Lion over Mountain Lion. A lot of bugs were worked out in 10.8.

That being said, it is true that some older Macs are not supported in 10.8. If yours is one of them, I'm sure we would be able to help you acquire a copy of Lion that is no longer being used. I have a disc image copy on my drive, but since I'm running 10.8, I don't think it is a violation of the license to transfer it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Call 1800MYAPPLE and pay $20 then Apple will give you a code to enter in the App Store to get Lion. You can install it right over top of SL without losing any apps or data. Of course you should backup first just to be safe.

4. benwiggy, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

benwiggy macrumors 68020

Default installation of OS X puts the new OS in the place of the old one, leaving all your user data, apps, and preferences intact.

But even if something went horribly wrong and everything got deleted, it wouldn't matter, because you have a backup for just such an occasion, don't you?

Most 2008 Macs can run Mountain Lion (except MacBooks, I think). You should not notice any increase in "effort" to run ML as opposed to Lion.

5. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

igucl, that's very kind of you. Thank you!

benwiggy, it is a Macbook actually- the Aluminum series though.

First I think I have to purchase a new battery. The one I have took serious banging and in horrible condition. Next I'll back up and try.

If I don't like it, can I go back to Snow Leopard?

----------

Also, one last question: If I decide not to upgrade is there ANY way to keep Snow Leopard but somehow do something to allow my computer to run all these new apps that are 10.7 compatible?

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You may have trouble migrating settings and app data, such as email from Lion back down to Snow Leopard. There are threads detailing the experiences of this.

You can't run Lion apps on Snow Leopard. Apps built for Lion rely on the OS to do everything that they do. If they use Lion-specific features, then the bits they need in the OS won't be there in SL.

7. printz macrumors regular

One thing is that the Andromeda wallpaper looked a lot more awesome than the Leo wallpaper.