I want my 13" Macbook Pro dammit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nishishei, Aug 22, 2008.

1. nishishei macrumors regular

The 15.4" is too big, and the MB Air is a joke with 1 USB and no ethernet and replaceable battery. The Macbook's glossy screen and cracking plastic is a no-go either. Glossy screen in a car is god awfully annoying.

Where's the one inch thick 13" MBP? There's a HUGE market for a professional model of this size (just look at the high-end competition from the Thinkpad X300, Sony Z-series, Dell Latitude E4300). I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

2. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I agree....however unless apple is keeping super tight about this one I'm not sure one is coming.....I think Apple is changing the MacBooks casing to resemble the MBP's. I think this will then become the 13 computer you are looking for...not sure about the screen tho....

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple recommends that you NOT surf the internet while driving! :D

4. nishishei thread starter macrumors regular

If it's Macbook, then it's going to have a glossy screen to cater to the consumer market. It's so frustrating because all the other 3 major competitors offer a MATTE screen for their high-end 13" models. Yes, even Sony, who practically invented the glossy fad. Clearly, if you need a 13" model, you'll be in a lot of situations where there's a lot of glare (and it's difficult to adjust the screen when it's on your lap), and the other competitors have figured this out. Also on low backlight settings (important if you are on a trip to save battery life), the glossy screen is almost impossible to use as the glare is brighter than the screen!

5. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I second this emotion. I could use a 13'' portable that has a normal (matte) screen and sufficient connectivity (minimum 2 USB ports; FW 400 and FW800; ethernet; express card slot) in lieu of the optical drive.

6. nishishei thread starter macrumors regular

haha, I was thinking taxis.

It just seems stubborn not to do a 13" MBP. There was a 12" Powerbook afterall, and it was awesome. And no, the Air is not the successor of the 12" Powerbook. Smaller yet fully functional/equipped notebooks are the trend now. Apple would be missing a huge opportunity not jumping the bandwagon.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

12" PowerBooks are still decent machines, if you really need that form factor, they're still a good choice.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I say revive the 12" PowerBook form factor in that of a MacBook Pro. I want intel innards in my 12", not that it's unuseable, trust me, it's great. Unfortunately, Apple probably won't do it seeing as it would eat MBA sales for breakfast.

9. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Well I can make you a 13" MBP with a saw, but i can make no guarantee on the functionality of it after my 'mod' is done

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you look closely at Apple's marketing and business strategy over the years, "jumping on bandwagons" isn't part of it. Apple prefers to think of themselves as innovators, not followers. I don't expect Apple to do what other manufacturers are doing, just because others are doing it. They prefer to follow their own path and sometimes that path may or may not coincide with that of others.

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

12" PB like MBP FTW!

I was thinking about this earlier this week and a few mins ago, and I am glad I am not the only one who wants this (or a 13" MBP).

The form factor for people needing a small fully functional (read DVD drive, full ports, etc) laptop would be awesome.

If they offered that, I would most likely say good bye to my trusty (and favorite computer of all time), PowerBook.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

C'mon! How backwoods ARE you? Haven't you heard of lasers? That's MUCH more high-tech! Sheesh! :D

13. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Lol, well I could use a high pressure H20 cutter but then i'd have to charge 1500% more

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Um.... I think I read somewhere that water isn't good for a MacBook Pro...

15. nishishei thread starter macrumors regular

If it's not introducing a 13" MBP for fear of MBA sales then it's not utilizing full market potential.

As of the moment, Apple has a gap in its product line up (namely: fully functional, professional, 13-incher), leading people to explore other options such as the Sony Z (which to me is a very compelling product).

The upcoming Macbook might be a decent product, but it's targeted primarily to college students, not to working professionals who are looking for the build quality and the practical functionality (matte, gpu, high-res).

16. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Water-cooled dude. :D

17. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Lol, I read that lasers and saws aren't either, I think that's all just people being overprotective of their $2000 computers, I'd gladly run some tests....on someone else's machine though.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Technically the MacBook is a fully functional 13-incher, abient not the most professional.

19. nishishei thread starter macrumors regular

You can try it on my 15" MBP! I keep imagining how awesome my MBP would be if I could chop off the damn speaker grilles on both sides and just have the computer end at the keyboard width. Such wasted space. At least put some more useful keys (pg up, down, home, end, or a numpad) there to make up for the width.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL... I like the fact that my MBP and my Harley have one thing in common... both are air-cooled! Come to think of it, the last time I worked with a water-cooled computer was in 1977! :eek:

21. Tosser macrumors 68030

Yup me too. And keep the real estate and most of the functionality.
    That's why my next will be the X300 (or the heir to that, when my MBP finally gives up the ghost completely).

22. nishishei thread starter macrumors regular

Glossy to me isn't really functional for a portable.
    No GPU.
    1280x800 screen, while not bad, isn't the most productive either.