I want my macbook to act as Wifi

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eatmikelitoris, Jan 18, 2012.

1. eatmikelitoris macrumors newbie

The catch. My macbook connection is also through wifi. My dad is too paranoid about virus or breach in our house. He only allows my laptop to get wifi connection. I want to connect my iphone or when friends come over for them to have some wifi connection. Please help.

2. simsaladimbamba

Get an AirPort Express? Or maybe a USB WiFi adapter?
    And talk to your father, that there are no viruses for Mac OS X and if he is worried about Windows viruses, they don't care about wireless or Ethernet connection.

And something doesn't make sense, if you already have a WiFi connection, why can't your friends use the same WiFi?

There is some trickery involved I guess? Ignorance maybe?

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ya agreed, its the same password you use to connect your MBP, or did your dad not tell you what it is?

4. simsaladimbamba

If that is the case, then one can easily find that one out. Ask your dad, as iPhones don't carry viruses. Or go to Keychain Access.

And give your dad this to read, just so he knows and .... ahh, I have to stop being judgemental.
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

5. eatmikelitoris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. My dad didn't give me the password. He connected my laptop himself. Hes very anal about the wifi connection because yes he doesn't really know how it works He thinks its dangerous. And nothing can change his mind. Hes a very stubborn old man. Please help

----------

Unfortunately, You are right. But i think i got the password from my setting but it doesnt work for other laptops or my iphone

6. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, that is the blessing of ignorance and stubbornness, which often conflicts with each other and doesn't help to gain more knowledge.

Where did you get the password from? Keychain Access?

7. Android300zx macrumors regular

There should be a program you can download on your Mac that will tell you what the WEP key is. Once you have your WEP key the skies the limit.

Go a google search for it unless someone here knows of one. I would imagine that you can enter a command in terminal to tell you this also but I'm not too sure.

8. minifridge1138, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Jeebus. It is the father's home, he pays for the internet. MR should not be helping someone hack into a system.

If the dad wants it to be secure, that is his right

10. simsaladimbamba

No need for an external application, as Keychain Access does that already.

11. Android300zx macrumors regular

Oh yeah lol. Durr.

12. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Exactly. If the dad wants to keep his internet locked and to him, then that's something you respect. He's the one who provides and pays for it, so he's the one that sets the rule for it. We really shouldn't be helping him "hack" the wifi password.

That Said, if you have access to an ethernet port that you can use for the internet, you can turn your own computer into a wireless router.

13. Android300zx macrumors regular

You just contradicted yourself.

The purpose of getting the WiFi password is so that he could use other devices on that network. If his dad is worried about viruses don't you think he'd be paranoid at a hardwired connection to the network he has.

Honestly you need to sit your dad down and tell him it's not that serious.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Quote from OP:

That statement right there makes me think he probably thinks that a Wired connection is safer. I don't blame him. When explaining my mom about setting up a home network (before we just had 2 computers connected to wireless but on two separate routers) she was afraid of viruses spreading over the WiFi. That seems to be the issue with OP's dad here. I never contradicted myself in my interpretation, but of course we don't really know the set-in-stone reason. Only OP's dad knows.

15. Mikeske macrumors newbie

I am going to say this as there are reasons that some parents lock down the wifi and mine was that our prior internet service provider was satellite and I was making sure that, one I make the rules on in the household on internet usage, two we did not run up against the satellite's fair access policy, three refer to rule one.

Now we are on DSL and it really does not matter but I still keep the wifi locked down and only because that way I still have some control.

16. eatmikelitoris thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the password guys but it doesn't work with other devices. I think in order for other devices to connect it probably needs to be registered in the router btw I'm 19 years old. My dad is very stubborn and anal about technology. I'm aware that I'm able to turn my laptop as wifi through LAN connection.

The real problem here is to how to make my macbook into a wifi while connected to my dads router(wifi). My only option right now is probably the airport express thanks to simsaladimbamba (but I have to sneak it in)

thanks for the replies

17. TheMacBookPro, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  18. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

You cannot share Wifi from a Wifi connection.

[​IMG]

19. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Oops. Was thinking of Connectify on Windows.

Any idea if an external WiFi adapter will work? (using the internal AirPort to receive the signal, then repeating it using the external adapter)

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

You can have the Wifi be sent through Ethernet, so yes, If it had an ethernet port on it, you could.