Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
I really want one in my kitchen to update news, check photos I took, watch movies.... Just like iPhone, but with bigger screen. It can be mounted on the wall to save space. Anyone else is on the same boat with me? You want one in ____, you name it. ;)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Although it runs windows ... HP has already done this and it's beautiful!

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I really want one in my kitchen to update news, check photos I took, watch movies.... Just like iPhone, but with bigger screen. It can be mounted on the wall to save space. Anyone else is on the same boat with me? You want one in ____, you name it. ;)

No.

I really hope Apple isn't wasting their R&D money on this technology. When I'm using a computer, the LAST thing in the WORLD I want to have to do is hold my arm up and drag my finger across the screen to make it work. I don't see a use for that. Ever.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Maybe in the future but not anytime soon...Apple is only "exploring" it. I'd say in 5 years or so we will see a touch Mac.

tonyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
i just wish if i can get rid of the mouse too :mad:

and tonyl, this might be helpful 4 u

http://www.trolltouch.com/

i haven't seen or heard about this company, but i hope that it will help your issue or dream :)

Thanks a lot for the information. The price looks steep, and the products are not supported by Apple. I can wait for 5 years for my dream. Thanks!

IroquoisPliskin

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
the LAST thing in the WORLD I want to have to do is hold my arm up and drag my finger across the screen to make it work.

I agree 100%. Why wold I want to work harder to do what the mouse, pen/tablet and trackpads already do very well. Touch screens have their place, but not at home.

It would be cool for about 10 minutes, then almost everyone would be going for their mouse and forgetting the screen.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I have played around with HP's unit and I agree it is really nice. They actually put a very nice UI shell on top of Vista and everything is integrated nicely. For about $1400 with a TV Tuner, not bad at all.

I'm also not sure for the money invested, how much Apple would gain from this though. It would seem like a sideline that does not have a massive pay out.

tonyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
I agree 100%. Why wold I want to work harder to do what the mouse, pen/tablet and trackpads already do very well. Touch screens have their place, but not at home.

It would be cool for about 10 minutes, then almost everyone would be going for their mouse and forgetting the screen.

You still need mouse and keyboard right? What if two or more people want to work on the same project at the same time? The interactivity is a big advantage for touch screen.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Not for me it annoys me to have finger prints on the screen, and I don't really see the point in a desktop.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I would love a touch screen Mac. The HP model is a very nice machine, and Apple could do something like that very easily. Of course, they'd charge $3000 for it, but it would be very nice.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I want one....far to often I find myself want to just click one thing real fast.

For many things, I'd keep the mouse, but for pointing to an application or trying to show someone something, it would be nice to use the touch screen. Also FrontRow seems very touch screeny

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
I'd Buy it

But not as a primary laptop computer. I'm thinking what they can do is have a tablet that functions like the iPhone (minus the phone, but integrated with 3G) with a 5-7" screen. Apple could sell it as a souped up version of a netbook or a fancy e-book reader. Using their LED display technology and more space for a bigger battery, it should have pretty good battery life.

I wouldn't use this to replace my laptop, but it would be handy for quick computing on the road.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
The touchscreen has its place. It's just not on a desktop PC. If you think about where you see them it's on things you don't use for extended periods. Phones, picking up tickets at the cinema, museum exhibits etc. You are going to be using your PC for much longer than any of these things, a keyboard/mouse is much better.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Why would anyone actually want, desire to, touch their screens ... I just do not get it. I go ballistic if anyone gets even close to my screen.

I'm the same way. Don't touch the screen! :mad:

On a side note I have tried that HP Touchsmart and it's useless. I can get around better with the mouse. The OS is not set up for touch. To open, close, right click or double click it's......stupid. The picture viewing was the only app that made sense for it's use.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
If you guys read what the OP said, he wanted a computer for the kitchen - not a desktop replacement. something that would be mountable on the wall and "run" the kitchen be able to stream music, watch TV, retrieve recipes and perhaps control any wifi kitchen appliances. Not editing word documents or file management. Have a look at the Asus eee-top - a 15.4" all in one, touchscreen computer. It's atom-powered which is exactly right for the purpose (although I'm sure Asus will push it as a desktop replacement) and 15.4" is about the right size for a wall mount.

It's probably far too small a market for Apple to go after.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Why would anyone actually want, desire to, touch their screens ... I just do not get it. I go ballistic if anyone gets even close to my screen.

Yeah why on earth would anyone want to touch their phone screen. I'm sure glad nobody makes a revolutionary device that is almost purely touch screen and selling millions a year.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah why on earth would anyone want to touch their phone screen. I'm sure glad nobody makes a revolutionary device that is almost purely touch screen and selling millions a year.

You don't think there's a difference between a pocketable phone you can hold in one of your hands and a computer which you certainly can't?

Anyway, I really wouldn't want a touch screen computer as a "real computer", but I can somewhat see the point with a kitchen computer – much like a cash register. But there would be no point in making it an iMac. It should be more akin to a touch screen double-din stereo for your car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.