I Want Shadow Gate! Now!!!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Riverbird, May 11, 2009.

1. Riverbird macrumors member

Yes, I WANT IT. We have an old Macintosh in our house that runs it but the floppy is wearing out for the game and my parents don't want me to keep using it so much to play the game. I guess what I mean by I want it is.. I want this game on Mac OS X sooo bad! I searched the Apple games section on the apple website and it isn't there. That game is such a classic to me its so sad that everyone seems to have forgotten it :(

Has anyone else played this game? What did you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. savvos macrumors regular

3. Riverbird thread starter macrumors member

Thank you sooo much! So should I use vmac mini to run this or is there a way to get it to run in Mac OS X?

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

1. Get an NES emulator.
    2. Find the Shadowgate ROM.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

5. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

man I used to play the hell out of that game....i wish someone would port it to iphone

without jailbreaking it

6. mags631 Guest

On another note -- whatever happened to Chicago?

7. savvos macrumors regular

Go with vMac Mini, I find it works great with the old B&W games. Check out the game Theldrow, too.

8. Riverbird thread starter macrumors member

I can't seem to get it to install in mini vMac. I do not like the original on NES. I like it in B&W. Can anyone give pointers on how to install in on mini vmac? It has system 7 software.

9. Riverbird thread starter macrumors member

I finally got it installed and working! Thank you everyone ^^

10. bdkennedy1 macrumors 65816

I want this for the iPhone/iPad!

The company that had the rights to it, Infinite Ventures is out of business and no one seems to hold the rights to it anymore.

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I miss that font as well. Every time I see it anywhere I think of the black and white days of yore.

12. bdkennedy1 macrumors 65816

This is an email I sent to one of the creators about porting to the iPhone/iPad.

Brian:

That sounds like a terrific idea--you'll want to get in touch with Eugene Evans, the founder/owner of Infinite Ventures.
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugeneevans

best of luck,
    --john

13. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

I have been wanting it on the iPhone for some time. Great stuff! I loved the original and loved shadow gate classic even more.

14. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

15. LOLaMac macrumors regular

It became Windows 95. ;)

16. Photo12 macrumors newbie

Ive been trying to do the same, how exactly did you do it? Can you give me a walkthrough?

17. doh123 macrumors 65816

best bet for old games isn't getting the Apple versions but find the old DOS versions, and using DOSBox.

18. tICM macrumors newbie

Some of the non-English system fonts (Krungthep, Silom) look like Chicago when you type in English.

19. PMG4 macrumors newbie

Has anyone followed up with this?
    Having re-played the NES version recently, it sounds like an interesting idea. :)

If not, maybe I'll try getting in contact with him.

20. dmarsh macrumors newbie

New Shadowgate

Hey, this is Dave Marsh, the creator of Shadowgate.

I'm recreating the game for Mac, PC, iOS and Android. You can find out more at

www.zojoi.com

Thanks!

Dave

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If you truly are recreating and expanding Shadowgate for the iPad, then God bless you, sir! When it comes out, not only will I be first in line to get it from the App Store, but I will also weep tears of joy and name my firstborn after you.

Oh, and what are the chances of us seeing the other Icom classics? Uninvited specifically?

22. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I love that you are doing two soundtracks, one modern and one in classic 8 bit!

23. dmarsh macrumors newbie

I was able to reacquire all of these titles so, yeah, they are on the list. I just don't know when we will get to them. Please be sure to sign up for the newsletter and follow us on Twitter and FB!

----------

I'm pretty excited about this too. Took a while to get permission from Kemco for the 8 bit music but I have it now. Wait until you hear the soundtrack score. It will make you change your shorts.

24. Paulyboy macrumors 6502

Wow! This came out of nowhere and I couldn't be happier! Loved all the "MacVenture" games and have wondered why they haven't been updated for the iPad and such because they seem to be a perfect fit for such devices. Of coarse I'd get it for my Mac (again) as well. Will you use iCloud for game saves so, for example, you can pick up where left off on your iPad on your Mac?

Also, way back in the early 90s I heard somewhere, I think, that a 5th MacVenture was in development and either was finished or nearly so but scrapped. I believe it was called "The Awakening" and involved Jack the Ripper. Do you know anything about this and if this was true is it something you'll be doing as well?

This is exciting! :)

-PN

25. bdkennedy1 macrumors 65816

AWESOME! Glad progress is being accomplished. Something just moved in my shorts!