I want the Apple Watch only for the basics. Will it deliver?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by DelMac, May 14, 2015.

1. DelMac macrumors regular

Edit. Accidentally deleted all the post before pressing submit. Will repost later. Sorry, thanks

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I use it for what I consider the basics. Telling time, the stock activity app, and receiving notifications. I could care-a-less about the apps.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I use it to tell time, to track activity throughout the day, and for notifications for messages. I love the standup and move reminders throughout the day. I do not get email through the watch. I use Siri occasionally, mostly to set timers or reminders, a few times for directions. I also use it for a quick temperature check, but haven't really used it for more weather than that. I don't really use any apps.

Don't regret my purchase at all, it delivers on everything I need/expect.

5. jds4300 macrumors member

If you want the basics, you're buying the right watch. Don't expect anything more or you'll be sorely disappointed. I returned mine after 6 days of usage. I found it to be a complete waste of $600 plus tax.

6. Fiestaman macrumors regular

I find this completely and utterly wrong. I have numerous uses for my watch. I use it to unlock my Mac, track my hours for work with clients, password tracking, running display with iSmoothRun, answering texts, setting timers, driving/walking directions, several Siri queries through the day, easy todo lists, constant fitness tracking, and the list grows every day. I'm tech savvy, however, and I find the money I spent on my watch completely worth it. My brother and sister, who each have an Apple Watch, also love theirs and we have no interest in returning them. Thinking about buying another for my mother.

7. jds4300 macrumors member

Oh Jesus. You perform all of those tasks on that tiny little display? You're not tech savvy, you're obsessed with Apple. Period. Wake up. Your life must have been almost unmanageable pre-Apple Watch. Perhaps you should own one for each wrist. You could accomplish twice as much.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I can see that. If people really are expecting fantastic apps they will be let down.

----------

How are you unlocking your Mac with it?

9. jds4300 macrumors member

It's sad that you need a watch to remind you when to stand up and move.

10. flur macrumors 68000

The OP got his questions answered in another thread (about taking calls and using the watch as a music remote).

Are you just here to troll or do you have something to add to the conversation?

11. susan12369 macrumors 6502

What's sad is your need to make a judgmental comment about someone else.

Re-read my post. I did not say I "need" the reminders, I said I love them. I work at a desk job. I am focused for long stretches of time on my work, and can often not even realize hours have passed. I appreciate the reminders to take a break.

12. seatton macrumors 6502

seatton

Agreed with everything you have mentioned except I find Siri buggy. I love the watch.

13. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I haven't had any problems getting Siri to wake up using "Hey Siri", except when I say it weird (too much pause between Hey and Siri, saying Ay more than Hey, etc). Not sure if that makes any sense, but I have noticed a difference.

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Just because you don't have a use for the Watch does not mean that Fiestaman and his siblings should be so limited.

15. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

You bought the watch without realizing what is was and what it did. You didn't do your research and didn't think it through. Now you're embarrassed and have to return it.

Sad enough. But what is really sad is that you feel the need to bash those who know exactly what the watch is and what they want out of it. And they are able and willing to pay the price for value received. Value is a relative term. But you think your values apply to everyone else. Very sad. Most mature adults understand this. Inexperienced adolescents don't.

16. redman042 macrumors 68020

This. Couldn't have said it better.

17. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

Yes, tell us please. Get mine tomorrow-can't wait to play with it.

18. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

I'm really interested in how to unlock your mac from the watch as well. Posting would be great, but I think I'll google it independently :cool: I'm too impatient to wait for a response...

Fortunately, the Google-Fu is strong with this one...

Update: there are a few apps. "Knock" and MacID" [both paid apps on the app store]

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-unlock-lock-your-mac-from-apple-watch/

Source

19. Fiestaman, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

Fiestaman macrumors regular

MacID, a paid app for iOS, with a free companion OSX app. It has built in proximity locking and unlocking. My computer autolocks when I walk away and then unlocks when I come back to my computer. It's pretty sweet.

----------

Yep. I use MacID. I also have Knock, but have not tried it with the watch yet. MacID works really well.

----------

Yep. I perform all of them on the "tiny" screen. I also have my Macbook Pro Retina set to max scaling and have my websites zoomed out to make them even smaller. Sorry your eyes and manual dexterity are not proficient enough to utilize this technology. That must really suck. Do you carry around a Jitterbug as your phone?
    As for being obsessed with Apple? Hardly. I'm obsessed with amazing technology that works well and makes my life easier. That's the Apple Watch in a nutshell. Apple made tutorial videos with the technologically inept in mind for individuals such as yourself. You might want to check them out. You'll quickly realize how asinine your statements are and how much of a clown you sound like. Just because you don't find use with the watch doesn't make it useless.

20. ulinerg macrumors member

ulinerg

Yes it will most defiantly deliver the basics and more. As you can see from some of the previous posts. The only problem is will Apple deliver the watch to you. :D

21. Mr.C macrumors 601

No what's sad is that you have to belittle others for their choices just because you can't seem to grasp the concept of the :apple:Watch or what the point of having one is. You obviously can't seem to comprehend the level of convenience it can bring to everyday life.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Thanks for everyone who mentioned mac id. one of FEW apps I am now using. I have a very complex password (20 characters) and this is much easier.

23. Presonance macrumors regular

Presonance

Are your insults really necessary?

24. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

These automatic unlocking app sound like a major security issue to me… As someone with a highly complex password, clearly security conscious, what makes you comfortable using this alternative?

25. Daysight macrumors regular

Is there evidence it is less secure? This is functionality sounds great.