I want the new Google Mobile maps too!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by santie321, Dec 7, 2010.

1. santie321 macrumors newbie

poor iPhone owners left out in the cold? :( android getting all the Google goodies first? bah!

The next major Google Maps update for Android phones looks to blow the iPhone’s aging Google Maps app out of the water. New features include dramatically faster performance, 3D building rendering, and an offline mode.

Google Maps 5.0 for Android will offer “dynamic map drawing” with vector graphics, which are smaller and load more quickly than the flat 2-dimensional maps the app previously featured. Overall the map performance is much “snappier”, both Engadget and Gizmodo report. There’s also support for 3D building models now in over 100 cities. And just like Google Earth, the new Maps app will also support tilting, so you’ll be able to get a sense of a building’s height when rendered in 3D. The app will also be able to automatically rotate maps using your device’s compass to help you maintain direction.

Thanks to the smaller vector graphics, the app will also be able to cache map data that you use most often to let you view maps offline. The app will download the map locations overnight when you’re connected with WiFi. Google says that this feature will make up for over 90 percent of the times the Maps app fails when there’s a bad connection. The app’s Navigation feature will be able to take advantage of the offline maps and re-route you even if you’re without service.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just checked... nope... don't even have Google Maps App on my iPhone
    Unless it is just the standard Maps app that comes loaded
    And I haven't used it but once or twice since I have a GPS in my truck

Guess I won't miss this killer upgrade for the 'Droids too much

3. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Now THAT I have used :)

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I wonder if Google would ever put this on Apple's app store. Would Apple approve it? Last year I'd say that no, they wouldn't, but they've been letting more in this year.

For example, Google-Voice apps were originally said to be "duplicating iPhone functions" and were rejected but now Apple lets them in.

Might a true Google-Maps app come to iOS soon? Would be nice.

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

InriX traffic for me as well.
    I like the Maps app too.
    Google Earth is cool, and frighteningly accurate, but causes me to lose my phone to my son every time we're in motion now. :eek:

7. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

8. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I think Google is going to be keeping all of the goodies to themselves after going through Apple's iOS app approval process.

9. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

The native Maps app is an Apple-produced app. The app itself simply can not be updated alone. All Apple native apps must be updated via an iOS software update. It probably isn't a coincidence that YouTube made a web app that works better than the native YouTube app. I seem to remember Google running into this predicament themselves, including when they were launching Google Latitude a while back. Google also opted for the use of a web app for Latitude. They didn't want to be constrained to Apple's ways, because if Youtube and Google were ready to make an update, they could make it whenever they wanted versus having to wait for the next iOS update...assuming that Apple approves of it first.

10. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

You are right to a certain degree. Google has recently decoupled its core apps so they can be updated independently, just like any 3rd party app. Recent updates on Gmail, Google Map and Youtube blow their iPhone/iOS counterparts out of the water.

11. JD914, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

You gotta be kidding me? You would be praising Apple and Google if it were available for iOS

inrix traffic doesn't even come close to the current Google Maps/Navigation. Anyway, settling for much much less is your prerogative. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    ^JUNK^

12. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

The new Google maps is a new direction in mobile map application. The iOS native maps is primitive and irix traffic is a small step above iOS Google maps.

Again Apple is falling behind the competition and is going to have to play catch up in June 2011.

13. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

They also bought Ploy9 another mapping company. IMO were going to be getting new maps in iOS 5

14. JD914, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

You'll probably never see it on iPhone because you can thank Steve Jobs for bashing Android/Google every chance he gets. I know Google is Apples major competitor but instead of giving props to Google for their superb and creative innovation, he bashes them and gives false information about them. Steve needs to take his foot out of his mouth and head out of his @$$.