I want the new iMac...I do like Windows 7, though...Help...please! :|

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Crunch, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Hey everyone,

So I'm killing time at London-Heathrow the other day and what I had drooled over before several times on Apple's site, there it was, on full display, the stunning new iMac. And oh my, what a crazy beautiful 27" IPS and LED backlit hi-res display it is! :)

I've known about Boot Camp for a while, and it seems to be a pretty straightforward process. Or is it? I don't care about anything other than Windows 7. By that I mean that I won't need any kind of compatibility with legacy devices, drivers, software, etc. Also, even though I've been running Windows in 64-bit for years now, I wouldn't care in case I am limited to Windows 7 32-bit, for whatever reason that may be.

Bottom line, how well does Windows 7 run on a Mac? Never mind older Mac's. All I want is this new gorgeous powerhouse...lol. I love the whole idea of getting to play with a new OS (new to me anyway) in Snow Leopard, which I very well may end up preferring over Windows 7. I just want to know what will run, to what extent, and what, if any, limitations there may be.

Here's one example: Will I be able to have an NTFS partition? I will run at least two drives, one of which will be the Intel Solid State Drive (SSD), along with at least one additional hard drive, so if I can't have an NTFS partition, will I be able to have one disk formatted with NTFS, and another for Mac OS X?

At the end of the day, I'm running the Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz CPU right now, the very same processor that I would be getting in my configuration of my new iMac. Same goes for the GPU (graphics card).

Thanks a lot everyone! :)

2. bcrguy macrumors regular

you will be able to have an ntfs partition on your startup drive but you wont be able to access things on that drive from your osx partition..

i know this dosent answer your entire question but at least part of it..

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I would really save up and get the i5 version of iMac. It is a much more future-proof model than C2D.

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Yes you can.

5. wesrk macrumors 6502a

windows on the imac runs just as if your imac came with windows to begin with, runs as good as any other windows machine.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And NTFS read (i.e. access) is enabled by default, only read/write requires a hack.

Thought there were still some driver issues with the 27"s (under Windows 7 64 bit at least) no?

B

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Two ways to get ntfs write/read:

1. OS hack - tends to make system unstable.
    2. 3rd party software such as ntfs-3g. a google search "ntfs write mac" will find others.

8. bcrguy macrumors regular

let me rephrase that. when i did it on my macbook for school the second time i did it ntfs and i couldnt put my back ups onto it from the osx part.. therefore you do not have write access.. you can only see and open stuff ..

9. Titus macrumors member

I just bought an iMac Quad i7 27 inch and am running Windows 7 Ultimate using Parallels. It runs great. It is fast and has not frozen once.....unlike my five previous PCs.

I'm not sure how it would do with games running in Parallels.

10. Nohg macrumors member

Yes there are. I've got a thread going about one right now. Everything works, just not as well as it should driver/hardware-wise.

11. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Crunch

Awesome! Thanks guys! I think I'm going to do it. I did notice an article about Boot Camp not being up to snuff, even though Apple had promised Win 7 compatibility by 12/31/09, but so what, sometime this or next month is fine by me.

As far as read/write access to an OS X partition from Windows 7 running independently on an NTFS partition is concerned, is there a compelling reason as to why I would definitively want or need that ability? I guess I could imagine a scenario where I might have pictures, videos, or other content independent of any OS on my Windows 7 partition that I would like to copy over/import from within Snow Leopard. Is there something I'm missing or is that kind of "convenience" the main reason that I would want that?

@Nohg: Are the driver issues isolated to the 64-bit version of Windows 7? What are some examples of driver issues?

About Parallels: I assume that is the mode where I can run both OS's simultaneously, similar to "XP Mode" that is available as part of Windows 7, where Windows XP runs in a virtual machine on Windows 7. Is that about right? To what extent would running Win 7 in Parallels limit me as opposed to running it in its own NTFS partition?

Sorry for the 20 questions. I just want to make sure that I won't be missing anything after switching. I love OS's, so gaining OS X 10.6 would be awesome! I switched to the iPhone last month (from the BlackBerry platform), my 4th attempt in 2 years. After not liking OS 2 or 3.0.x, iPhone OS 3.1 is working great for me. IMHO, OS 3.1+ is superior to any other mobile platform at the moment. Getting the new iMac would make me "all Mac all the time". Ha! :)

Thank you very much, everyone! Great insight.