I want the older MBP!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by reardoma, Jan 11, 2009.

1. reardoma macrumors member

happy new year to all -

I recently purchased the unibody 2.4ghz Macbook after selling my 2.16 C2D MBP. My problem, which is not a problem but a nice way of weeding out other options, is that my eyes just can't take the LED screen for long periods of time. Since i'm a professor, i spend a lot of time on the internet reading and writing, so i will be returning the macbook, and i will use the refunded money to buy a MBP of the previous versions before the unibody MB/MBPs came out.

So my question is this - i know the techniques of slowing production on previous models due to the implementation of the new notebooks, but my thinking is that there have to be some good deals out there since the unibody is the hip thing to have now... Where (besides the apple store discount or refurb section) is a good place to look for a MBP 15 or 17" notebook that is later than my 2.16, but not the unibodies?

Any good sites that have leftovers?

2. cerhard macrumors member

3. reardoma thread starter macrumors member

yes... best bet so far

i've done a little bit of research, and i have concluded macmall and macconnection are the best thus far.

I have found this at mac connection:
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 15" 2.5Ghz 2GB 250GB SuperDrive Matte Screen
    $1599

And i have found this at macmall:
    15.4" MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 2GB, 200GB, SuperDrive
    $1,349.99

Can anyone beat these prices?

I'm looking for the 512 video memory, otherwise i don't need the very latest before the unibody....

Anyone else see anything worth considering?

4. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Try the new MBP? The MB does have a crappier screen..

5. reardoma thread starter macrumors member

the new MBP

i would love to try the new MBP, but i really didn't even like the glossy screens before, so i doubt there will be a tremendous difference.

even if there was, i don't think i'm looking to spend that much, i was thinking <$1500 for an older one, refurbished or open box.

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

MacMall has the best deals I've seen so far, but since you don't like the glossy screens, you should make sure that one is matte. Looking at MacMall, I see that the $1349.99 one is glossy, while the matte screen with same specs is $1479.99

7. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

As a professor...will you be traveling around with your notebook or are you using it as mainly a desktop replacement?

The new unibodies are coming out with a matte display. ( at least in the 17" models ).

As the possibility of a refurb from the apple websitecould be good. I've never heard any negativity from people who have used that refurb program.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Dim the screen? or get the new 17" unibody with Matte (anti-glare) screen.

9. Horst Guest

Afaik, only the 2.5Ghz model has 512mb video memory; the 2.4 Ghz has the same GPU, but only half the memory.

10. savvos macrumors regular

University Bookstore

You should check your university's bookstore because they might be having a clearance sale on the last gen MBP. I know UCLA is selling the last gen 2.5Ghz MBP for either $1200 or $1299 on clearance, which is by far the best deal I've seen anywhere.

11. macjay macrumors 6502

The previous gen matte MBP is also LED-backlit.

Did you mean that you don't like LED-backlit screens, or glossy screens?

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Dim the screen, or buy a refurbed MBP from Apple's refurb store.