I want the red circle to quit the program, not just...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Statelymwhite, May 23, 2011.

1. Statelymwhite macrumors regular

... close the window.

I ended up with almost 1GB of Safari windows open because I thought clicking the red circle closed Safari. Apparently that just closes the window.

I'm an OS X noob, so be kind (haven't had a Mac since the kind Seinfeld had)... is there a way to kill the window AND quit the program with just one simple click (without going to the drop down menu?).

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Use Command-Q

Programs that use only one window quit
    Programs that can use multiple windows only close the window
    Generally speaking

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not the way Mac OS X works. For multi-window apps, such as Safari, TextEdit, MS Word, etc., clicking the red button only closes the window. For single-window apps such as Photo Booth, clicking the red button closes the window and quits the app. To quit a multi-window app, use Command-Q or use the menu command.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

4. Statelymwhite thread starter macrumors regular

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

What does "1GB of Safari windows" mean? And how did you end up with that if you closed the windows by clicking the red circle?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm guessing the OP meant 1GB of RAM used by Safari, even though no windows remained open.

7. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Yes, this is a flaw in OSX that I don't like either. I wish it was like windows where closing a window would exit out of the app entirely. Just press command Q.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It isn't a flaw. It's the way OS X works and in my opinion, it makes full sense. If you like Windows, stick to Windows. Simple.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It is not a flaw; it is how the operating system works. The argument that it is a "flaw" is just as meritous as someone who argues that the Windows "X" closing the entire program is a flaw, i.e. ridiculous.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hardly a "flaw", just a philosophical difference in how the OS works as others have pointed out

11. Finch7 macrumors newbie

I think the mac os system works better, never have to guess if you are closing the program or just one window.

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That would be my argument. ;)

I really like the fact that my Mac does not quit the program when I close the last window. I Quit too soon frequently enough as it is, then have to wait for the app to open again. But in my work flow, closing a file doesn't quit, which makes opening the next one faster.

13. John89 macrumors regular

I've noticed the 'App Store' app shuts down with the red cross...maybe Apple are leaning to that way of closing apps?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, if you click the red button and it shuts down the app, that means that app is a single-window app, not capable of multiple windows, such as Photo Booth, System Preferences, Calculator, iSync, Disk Utility, etc.

15. John89 macrumors regular

Makes sense...cheers!