I want THIS for my Mac Pro!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lucibelle, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Lucibelle macrumors member

2. Bentov macrumors regular

5 years from now, we will be probably be pushing 10TB for the same price..

3. POLOgt macrumors member

POLOgt

4. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Mac Pros like that are used in serious scientific labs, universities, hospitals and etc. where a normal computer just couldn't cope. They are NOT meant for playing Tetris and Call of Duty-it could, but that would be like using a bulldozer to bury a hamster. Maybe you didn't read what you were clicking on but you selected 32GB of DDR3 RAM... What kind of applications do you think would require that much? You'll find Mac Pros like that at Boeing, NASA, etc... A normal person doesn't need a Pro.

5. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

6. Lucibelle thread starter macrumors member

I have a game...The Sims 2, which is nothing more than a recreation for me. That hardly makes me a gamer. If I were, I'd buy a PC. My 18 year old nephew wants a MP for playing WoW. Oh, and a 30" :apple: Cinema Display. :rolleyes: I would do all in my power to keep him from making such a foolish decision.

I bought my MP primarily for recording audio and other musical needs. Am I a Pro? No. A "prosumer"? No. I'm a hobbyist. Do I need 32G of RAM at this point? Nope, not that I can afford it now. Will I in the future? It's certainly likely, as I keep a mac for 5-7 years before upgrading. Hell, I'd still be using my old DP G4 with a 1.8 or 2.0 dual-processor upgrade had it not died on me. I don't just buy "biggest and best" just to have it, and I'm certainly not going to lug a MP to Starbucks so I can look cool to perfect strangers. :cool:

I am well aware that my MP exceeds my current needs, but am also aware that eventually, my needs will exceed it. Then, when the time comes, I will get a new Mac and I will continue to set aside $$ each year to do so. I really don't see how this is any different than spending money to constantly upgrade parts in a PC, other than the lack of headaches I'll have.

As for the super-fast SSD, am I drooling over it to have "the biggest and best"? No. I'm drooling over it because music production benefits greatly from faster hard drives, so a future of affordable, really fast, not to mention silent drives is very appealing to me. Also, it would let me get even MORE use out of my MP, so I can use it even longer.

Yeesh! I know what I'm doing. :p

7. Lucibelle thread starter macrumors member

For the record, I'm also a glass artist and I use Dichroic glass in my work. Dichroic glass was developed by NASA, so you never know what 'out of reach' technology will become of use to the 'normal' person. :D