I want to access my windows w/o going into it, possible?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Pokesmart, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Pokesmart macrumors newbie

Recently, my mac is acting wierd. Not only does it take about 5 min to get into mac, but also never logs into windows. This started when I left my windows on for 4 hours straight last week. I am thinking about reinstalling windows, but I want to save the files that are stuck in windows first. Is there any way to access the windows partition in mac?? or any way to extract those files from windows?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you used Boot Camp, you should be able to read all the files on there, thus be able to simply copy the data from the Windows partition to wherever you like.

4. Pokesmart thread starter macrumors newbie

How do u do that~~~?? When I start my bootcamp, there is only the option to install or remove partitions.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You should be able to access the partition using Finder, there is no reason to open Boot Camp Assistant.

6. Pokesmart thread starter macrumors newbie

But i do not see it in finder either~..the only partition i can see is my mac partition, thats all.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility and look if you can see the Boot Camp partition there.

8. Pokesmart thread starter macrumors newbie

I do, even tho the name isnt the name I set in windows. Now what should I do? How can I extract files from windows?

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Go to the Macintosh HD icon located in the Finder's Sidebar, click on it, then press Command + ArrowUp, and now you should see all mounted volumes on your Mac, including the Boot Camp partition, whatever its name is.

10. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If your bootcamp partition is undamaged you can install an NTFS driver in OS X which would enable you to read and write to the bootcamp partition. You can copy all files to a backup drive then.

Paragon do a good NTFS driver. You can test it and buy it if it does what you want. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/