Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cody.knownflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
So my apple store may or may not have iPhones in stock tomorrow and my problem is that the invisibleSHIELD the I preordered has yet to arrive. I basically want to buy the phone and take it home and then straight away apply the shield to reduce any possibility of getting scratches on it. My problem is that if I get the phone tomorrow and the shield hasn't come yet then I'm stuck with a phone that I really dont want to handle and my original phone is inactive so I can't use that. Is there a way to ask the people at apple to somehow delay the acivation a couple of days? Or maybe I can sign the contract and just not activate the phone until I have applied the shield?
please :apple:

cody.knownflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
But don't you have to activate it before leaving the store? and this thread got moved to the wrong forum. It wasn't a question about accesories but rather activation.

cody.knownflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
So I'm just making sure I understand this correctly. You walk into a U.S. apple store purchase an iPhone 3G and never have to take it out of the box to sync/activate/anything at the apple store?

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
So I'm just making sure I understand this correctly. You walk into a U.S. apple store purchase an iPhone 3G and never have to take it out of the box to sync/activate/anything at the apple store?

No, that person is wrong. Apple activates all 3G iPhones in the store.

Some people were sent home on friday with their phones unactivated because iTunes activation was not working properly in the store. These people did, however, have to register with AT&T before leaving, meaning that they didn't have a working cell phone until they got home and activated via iTunes.

So you should just wait until you have the invisible sheild before you buy it. I wish I had, I've had mine for 3 days and taken immaculate care of it, always having it in a 5G ipod sleeve, but it still have very tiny scratches on the back on the apple. I'm ordering invisible shield today.

mntentman

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
Yes, you take it out of the box in the store, connect it to iTunes and activate it. The Apple employee doesn't ever touch it.

cody.knownflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
so even if I sign whatever contracts I have to, there is no way of getting out of activating it in store? Is there a way to keep my old phone active as well until I disable it so I can still use that until I get the shield?

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
so even if I sign whatever contracts I have to, there is no way of getting out of activating it in store? Is there a way to keep my old phone active as well until I disable it so I can still use that until I get the shield?

No way to get out of it. It's AT&T's response to all of the iPhones being used on other carriers, if you buy an iPhone 3G you MUST sign a contract before you leave the store, Apple stores included.

Your only option is to wait until you get the IS before you buy it.

cody.knownflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
No way to get out of it. It's AT&T's response to all of the iPhones being used on other carriers, if you buy an iPhone 3G you MUST sign a contract before you leave the store, Apple stores included.

Your only option is to wait until you get the IS before you buy it.

Yes I'm fine with signing contracts but its the activating the phone part that I would like to avoid until I get the shield.

mmaguire

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
Pacific NW
Just go to a store neear you if you can

So my apple store may or may not have iPhones in stock tomorrow and my problem is that the invisibleSHIELD the I preordered has yet to arrive. I basically want to buy the phone and take it home and then straight away apply the shield to reduce any possibility of getting scratches on it. My problem is that if I get the phone tomorrow and the shield hasn't come yet then I'm stuck with a phone that I really dont want to handle and my original phone is inactive so I can't use that. Is there a way to ask the people at apple to somehow delay the acivation a couple of days? Or maybe I can sign the contract and just not activate the phone until I have applied the shield?
please :apple:

I went directly to the mall near my ATT store and they had lots of 3g IS skins. It was only $16 vs the online order price. And they installed it. If you go to the ZAGG.COM website you can search for stores easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.