I want to be able to move a dock "folder to the "left" area of the dock...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NMF, Feb 1, 2012.

1. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

How can I do that? I recently purchased Office for Mac 2011, and I'd like to have one "Office" folder in my dock. I don't, however, want it to stay on the right side next to my downloads and trash can. I want to be able to move it throughout the dock like a normal icon.

How do I do that? Also, how do I change the folder image to the icon for Microsoft Word?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

There is a landing strip indicator which separates the "left" from the "right" side of the Dock. Only application shortcuts can be placed on the left side of the Dock. The right side is reserved for folders and files.

You have few options when it comes to changing the appearance of the folder. If you right click on the icon in the Dock, you can select Display as Folder or Stack, or View Content as Fan, Grid, List, Automatic.

If you want Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in your Dock, just drag it to there from /Applications instead of trying to get the folder to the left side of the Dock.

3. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

You may have to put the folder in the apps folder than create an alias for it. Then drop the alias folder in the dock. For changing the icon, just command-i then click on the folder icon and paste in the icon you want. You can copy the image from this link. I may not be right. I'm at work and can't test it on this Optiplex.:(

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/nelson/microsoft-office/256/Word-icon.png

4. epicnyancat macrumors newbie

Moving Folders to the Left Side of the Dock

You can do this. It's simple.

Step 1: Take the file or folder you would like on the left side of the dock and give it the extension .app and confirm.
    Step 2: Drag the file or folder onto the left side of the dock.
    Step 3: Locate your file or folder in finder.
    Step 4: Press Command+I or right click and press "Get Info".
    Step 4: Under "Name & Extension:" delete the .app extension and confirm.
    Step 5: Click the file or folder once in finder and once in the dock to reset it to a folder image.

5. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

I've seen this application used to do exactly what you're talking about.

http://secrets.blacktree.com/

It adds a massive amount of new preference options.