I want to build myself a PMP

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aaron11193, Mar 11, 2010.

1. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    Hey all, recently I've had an inkling to build myself a little linux based PMP. I have a bit of experience with electronics (been playing with stuff since i was about 5) and I'm all for learning :)

Does anyone here have experience in doing anything like this? Like assembling a complex PCB with an ARM CPU, etc..?

I think it would be a really fun project, a couple years ago I drew up some designs for a linux PMP that I wanted to build so I'd probably work off of that because I thought it was a pretty good design :)
    I won't be doing any plastic moulding or anything like that unless I can find a cheap way to do it because I have a bit of a budget :(

Anyone else interested/have experience in this field? I'm not looking for a team or anything, I just want to keep this a little project of mine.

EDIT: I'd like to make my own GUI for it too, I have a bit of C/C++ experience but more learning will be required :) Of course the hardware would come first though :p

Thanks, Aaron.

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

No real thoughts, but good luck. You sound like you have a fair bit of experience with electronics and aren't trying to bite of more than you can chew. Knowing your where your current limitations are is key to moving beyond them.

At least you aren't trying to build an OS from scratch