I want to burn a DVD, but have a root menu.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doju, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

How would I go about doing this? My DVD player supports this with a disk I burned off awhile ago of House Season 4, but I want to burn off a workout program now and it won't play the files on the disc.
    I assume this is due to the file type. What file type should I select?
    (Yes, I could burn it as a true DVD, with chapters or something, but then I don't have the menu.)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried creating a video DVD via iDVD or even Burn?

3. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Why not just use the built in burn folders, though? Is there just a specific file format I should be using?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You want to create a video DVD though, don't you? One that plays in those physical video DVD players below the telly?

If that is the case, you need a proper structure and folders and files.

One: VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder, with the AUDIO_TS folder most often empty.

Two: .vob files, which are the files containing the video and audio, using MPEG-2 as a codec for video and AC3 for audio. They have a maximum size of approx. 1,073,739,776 bytes, thus a longer movie will be split into several .vob files.

Three: .ifo files, which contain the menus (the video used in menus is stored in the .vob files though).

Four: .bup files, which are the backup of the .ifo files.

As one needs a proper authoring tool to create a video DVD, simply using a Burn Folder does not suffice in creating video DVDs.

iDVD is free and Burn is free too.

[​IMG]