I want to buy a Classic tomorrow.. . . .

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dannewell15, Jul 26, 2008.

1. dannewell15 macrumors regular

So yeah, title says it all really. I want to buy an 80gb classic tomorrow. Do you think its a bad idea? will the update be very soon? what is the update likely to include? thankies. :)

2. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

iPod updates occur in the Fall, but I'm hard pressed to think what they could do to technically improve the Classic. I don't know of any larger hard drives, at 1.8", or of any major battery improvements...................

3. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

i say go for it.. the best upgrade they may come with is hd size.. 80 gigs is pretty big to begin with ...

4. dannewell15 thread starter macrumors regular

ok. so yeah I'm not bothered about bigger capacity (I only have a 4gb nano now so 80 is gonna feel like loads), battery life will not be too much of a problem, I don't need any iPod Touch type capabilities because if I'm near a wifi spot then I'll have my laptop with me. So theres no other reason not to really, is there? :eek:

5. macman7002 macrumors regular

I would say get it now! I can't see anything that would be included in a hardware update for the Classic in the near future. I have an iPod Touch 16GB with iPhone 2.0 on it, and I love it! Because when I need to connect to the internet when I am out and about, I don't always have my laptop, so the WiFi in the iPod Touch really does come in handy!

But either way, I would say you'd be safe to get one now.

6. muldul macrumors 6502

The next updates are mainly in autumn and so not very far away, but the most these updates will be are cosmetic ones. If you like the current look and 80 GB will support your needs, then go for it

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

if you'll be happy with the classic regardless of what comes out, then no, there's no reason not to. But you never know what apple will do, even with a device that doesn't seem like it has a lot to improve on. So if you're the type to kick himself for not having all the latest bells and whistles then you'd better wait.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The Classic line is aging, and when flash drives are big enough, I'd guess will be replaced. I like the form factor, and 80Gbs is a lot of media(as is 160GBs).

If we see updates in the fall, I'm guessing higher HDs or slimmer iPods.....if those matter to you, wait, if not, then go for it.

9. dannewell15 thread starter macrumors regular

ok fantastic advice guys. thanks. :) I'm thinking I'll just go for it unless something drastic happens in between now and tomorrow afternoon. hehe. last questions; black or silver? and are videos good on it? good enough to watch a whole film? thanks

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The September iPod update would only bring the iPod classic to 100/160 or 120/240 IF those drives are ready. I don't know anything about them other than the fact that they exist.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

color is a matter of personal preference. IMO the silver looks really slick, and more like the classic white, but just look at 'em side by side.

Videos run smoothly, if that's what you mean. The only problem with watching a whole movie would be screen size, but that should be obvious...

12. dannewell15 thread starter macrumors regular

ok so i got it :D. are these things bad for scratches like the first gen nanos were? do i really need a case?

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I didn't get a case for my black Classic, but when I'm not using it I keep it in one of those Crumpler pouches, an orange one so I can find the thing amid the clutter on my library table. So far no scratches. I use the Classic mostly to make sure I back up impulse purchases made onto machines other than my main workhorse powerbook, but I usually take it with me when I travel out of town. I hate being away from home and discovering that I really want to listen to something that I didn't think to load onto a nano or my iPhone. I don't keep all my music on any of my laptops either, but with the Classic along for a trip, most of my "where's my darn music????" problems are solved.