I want to buy a Mac...but...

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
233
0
Canada
Hey guys. I'm new here. My name is. Anyways, I really want to buy an iMac, but I hear that they are gonna be putting in Core 2 Duo's in there sometime in September. And now I want to wait until the Core 2 Duo's are in there before ordering. But now that's all fine and dandy, but my next concern is that if I wait to order, now I'm scared I'll have the G5 for two weeks and then they will come out with a new model. How long do you think it will be until the Core 2 Duo will be in the iMac for me to order, and how much longer do you think it is until the next iMac comes out?
 
Last edited:

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
5,555
5
American Riviera
I'd say wait till the official Intel release of Core 2 Duo happens in a couple of weeks, to see if Apple announces anything. Barring that, I'd say to see what happens at Apple Expo Paris on September 12th.
 

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
10,807
79
Before october and until the next set of chips ship from intel which could be...i dunno 6-8 months
 

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
233
0
Canada
Thanks alot guys. :) These forums are pretty friendly I see.

Anyways, I decided now I will wait to see if any new chips will be in the iMac soon.

Now, I'm not VERY computer literate. If I just buy an iMac when the next chip comes out in a few weeks, then 6-8 months or whatever down the line, will I just be able to pickup that chip alone, and install it into my Mac?
 

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
15,307
25
Right side of wrong
Sobering said:
Thanks alot guys. :) These forums are pretty friendly I see.

Anyways, I decided now I will wait to see if any new chips will be in the iMac soon.

Now, I'm not VERY computer literate. If I just buy an iMac when the next chip comes out in a few weeks, then 6-8 months or whatever down the line, will I just be able to pickup that chip alone, and install it into my Mac?
if you get an imac, you could upgrade the processor, but you'd have to basically take the whole thing apart. so you might want to consider that
 

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
387
6
Very good choice in waiting. The processor should be updated within about two weeks.
 

Finnxeon

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2006
114
0
Vermont
Sobering said:
Now, I'm not VERY computer literate. If I just buy an iMac when the next chip comes out in a few weeks, then 6-8 months or whatever down the line, will I just be able to pickup that chip alone, and install it into my Mac?
Unless you are doing hardcore video editing or gaming, the processor won't really need to be updated. Its already fast now, with the possible merom update it will be a little faster....In my opinion, in 6-8 months the imac will still be performing like a champ:)
 

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
4,714
18
Russia
Sobering said:
Hey guys. I'm new here. My name is Stefan Sobering. Anyways, I really want to buy an iMac, but I hear that they are gonna be putting in Core 2 Duo's in there sometime in September. And now I want to wait until the Core 2 Duo's are in there before ordering. But now that's all fine and dandy, but my next concern is that if I wait to order, now I'm scared I'll have the G5 for two weeks and then they will come out with a new model. How long do you think it will be until the Core 2 Duo will be in the iMac for me to order, and how much longer do you think it is until the next iMac comes out?
What does G5 have to do with this? Current iMac lineup has Intel CoreDuo processors :)