Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
There's a movie that I want to buy to play on both my iPhone and my television. Should I buy it from iTunes or buy the DVD from a store? If I buy it from iTunes, can I burn a DVD to play in my television's DVD player? If I buy a DVD from a store, can I easily transfer it into iTunes (as easy as I can transfer a music cd into iTunes) and then onto my iPhone?

Thank you. :)

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
buy the dvd. then use a program such as handbrake to copy it to your computer
handbrake has a preset import for iphone/touch as well

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
buy the dvd. then use a program such as handbrake to copy it to your computer
handbrake has a preset import for iphone/touch as well

Is it really easy to do ... for someone that does NOT want to have to figure out how the heck the software works? I just want to be able to click "download" and then click "import." Is it that easy?

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
Is it really easy to do ... for someone that does NOT want to have to figure out how the heck the software works? I just want to be able to click "download" and then click "import." Is it that easy?

Its 4* clicks total
insert the DVD
Launch (Click) handbrake
Click Source
Click on the DVD
Click Open
**once you set the default to iPhone/iPod Touch thats 1 less click so ;)
either accept the default name/location or change
Click Start
Your done!

Its pretty simple IMHO

Balty

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Its 4* clicks total
insert the DVD
Launch (Click) handbrake
Click Source
Click on the DVD
Click Open
**once you set the default to iPhone/iPod Touch thats 1 less click so ;)
either accept the default name/location or change
Click Start
Your done!

Its pretty simple IMHO

That's what I would do. It's really simple.....

Handbrake

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
Someone told me that it is illegal to copy DVD's onto a computer even if there is no intent on sharing it. Is that true?

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
Someone told me that it is illegal to copy DVD's onto a computer even if there is no intent on sharing it. Is that true?

If I BUY something and take it into my house, why should it matter whether I watch it on my television or iPhone? I PAID for it! I have a store receipt for it. It's mine. I can do whatever I want with it. Is the Geek Squad going to go around to everyones' houses and spy on them to see how they are using the products that they PAID for? :)

(sure, if I make copies and distribute them to others, it will reduce sales of the DVD and the company would lose out, and that would be illegal ... but I'm not doing that)

g_11_geek_squad.sized.jpg

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
absolutely go for handbrake and a programme called Meta X (sorry don't have a link) this will tag the file for you and find the album art (or dvd sleeve in this case) and will fill in all the information on itunes so it looks like an itunes purchase

d:apple:

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
absolutely go for handbrake and a programme called Meta X (sorry don't have a link) this will tag the file for you and find the album art (or dvd sleeve in this case) and will fill in all the information on itunes so it looks like an itunes purchase

d:apple:

I'll try and find it. Thank you. :)

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA

The way the movie studios work, I'm surprised it's not illegal to even watch the DVD itself. Hell, I'm surprised DVDs aren't illegal. Or people...they should be illegal.

Technically, yes, it is illegal to copy the DVD to your hard drive, phone, server, anything...even to make a backup. It's a stupid law that serves no purpose but to try to curb actual illegal activity that is not even close in scope. Does anyone care? Hardly. It's one of those laws that was written waaaaayyy too broadly.

There is a huge difference between copying a DVD onto my media server in my home theater for personal use, and making a bunch of copies to give to friends or sell on ebay. I also have a problem with people who rent/buy DVD's, copy them to whatever device, then return them, keeping the copy. That's one of the big reasons the law is in place as well.

I say if you bought or downloaded a legitimate copy of a DVD/iTunes movie, you can copy it to your heart's content, as long as you are not sharing those copies with other people.

radiogod69

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Minnesota
There's a movie that I want to buy to play on both my iPhone and my television. Should I buy it from iTunes or buy the DVD from a store? If I buy it from iTunes, can I burn a DVD to play in my television's DVD player? If I buy a DVD from a store, can I easily transfer it into iTunes (as easy as I can transfer a music cd into iTunes) and then onto my iPhone?

Thank you. :)

Definitely buy it on DVD. Handbreak is the best & fastest FREE tool available to rip your dvd's to iPhone format. Very important though that you get DVD43 @
HTML:
www.dvd43.com
it's a small free utility that will allow you to make backup copies of your retail purchased DVD's. This is required for retail DVD's if you plan to rip movies to your iPhone otherwise you will get an error message in Handbreak. Handbreak is so easy you have presets for both iPhone/iPod Touch. Make sure the screen size is 480x320 & the video format is the MPEG4 under the Encoder drop down menu. This encoder will take about 15-20 minutes for an average 2 hour movie. Legally you are allowed to "backup" your retail DVDs without monitary gain.

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
Definitely buy it on DVD. Handbreak is the best & fastest FREE tool available to rip your dvd's to iPhone format. Very important though that you get DVD43 @
HTML:
www.dvd43.com
it's a small free utility that will allow you to make backup copies of your retail purchased DVD's. This is required for retail DVD's if you plan to rip movies to your iPhone otherwise you will get an error message in Handbreak. Handbreak is so easy you have presets for both iPhone/iPod Touch. Make sure the screen size is 480x320 & the video format is the MPEG4 under the Encoder drop down menu. This encoder will take about 15-20 minutes for an average 2 hour movie. Legally you are allowed to "backup" your retail DVDs without monitary gain.

Windows world only on the dvd43 :p

I so hate traveling w/DVDs... had 2 stolen out of my luggage this trip. Not even NEW titles we are talking year or more old(not pr0n either). Guess I hit the pawn shop or walmart to replace them.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If I BUY something and take it into my house, why should it matter whether I watch it on my television or iPhone? I PAID for it! I have a store receipt for it. It's mine. I can do whatever I want with it.

Nice opinion, but he asked if it's against the law. It is.

That said, I suggest using Handbrake as does the tech columnist for the Washington Post. It's not some big secret. Unlike music pirating, there aren't many people debating if ripping DVDs to iPods is ok. Pretty much everyone says "just do it."

But again...that wasn't his question. Question was, is it illegal? Answer is: yes.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I rent DVDs from the red box($1 per nite), rip it to my iPhone when I'm going on a trip, watch it then delete it. much cheaper than iTunes.

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
Thank you for all of the responses. I'm definitely going to download handbrake and dvd43 right now. There's still one question left unanswered: If someone were to purchase a movie from iTunes, could they burn it from iTunes onto DVD ... the same way that iTunes allows us to make our own CDs?

Again, I thank all of you for the helpful responses. :)

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Get Slysoft's AnyDVD, http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html, however, that software is no cheap. Other option would be to find DVD decrypter or DVD shrink and use that to copy the DVD to your computer before encoding it to iPod/iPhone format.

Yeah I don't want to pay for any software. I guess I'll use DVDShrink (why didn't I think about that?!? I use DVDShrink all the time)...

reliantj

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
at Best Buy, they have DVDs that come with Digital Copies.

meaning they give you the MP4 file to put on your iPod/Phone,
PSP or other device.

easy.

but i'm not sure if the movie you're looking for is sold that way yet.
on the online website these are the ones they have with Digital Copies. I'm not quite sure about the in store selection.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Copy it as long as you own it.

At home, its blu ray for all my titles I've purchased in the last year. If i have the DVD, i rip it myself (I'm always somewhere other than home). Digital copies help a lot when it comes to blu ray discs that don't have them.

There have been a few times I'll download the movie and make a copy for the iphone if its a blu ray without digital copy, but I don't even keep the divx/xvid.

Hazy line is where I download episodes of Entourage b/c I'm paying for HBO, but I rarely get time to watch it. Convert it, and watch it at a friends place via rca cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.