Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptjh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
What resolution / size ratio would you recommend?

I want it for my room to watch digital tv (so integrated digital would be good), play xbox 360 and SNES, produce and sequence electronic music and maybe view and edit photo's and videos (recreationally). It's for my MB Pro. I feel a Tv with the right spec would be the way to go as it has all the built in stuff I need but i'm open to suggestion. Anyone else running this kinda of multi-media badboy setup? All the threads i've seen are about using a tv as a monitor as an afterthought or buying a monitor and using it as a tv!

Preferably £200 - £400

22'' to 32''

Thanks!

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I did a similar thing with my 26'' TV until I got a Dell Ultrasharp 2208WFP. It worked fine, but there really isn't much screen real estate because TVs have a very low resolution compared to a typical computer monitor.

Vizio has a 1080p 32'' for $600 or so. Best deal on just about any TV you can find. Vizio is to electronics as Hyundai is to cars; quality products for a low price.

My TV is an Olivia 226T. 26'' for $500 or less. Has one of just about every input and built-in NTSC and ATSC tuners. If you can afford it, get a 32'' Sony.

PS: Do you have Super Mario World for your SNES? IMO, it's the best game ever, but I can never get much farther than the first worlds on the second island.

ptjh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Cheers for those recommendation....oh yes I treasure super mairo world...l love those gigantic bullets! ALL MARIO IS SUPERB!

I don't think I can get Vizio i'll look for Olivia in the UK. How is txt on that samsung? Amazon has mixed reviews on it for computer work

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I use my Samsung T260HD for Desktop PC, Wii, TV and XBOX... and sometimes my macbook's secondary monitor.
It's awesome and I usually do Picture-in-picture mode where I use my desktop PC and TV at the same time :)

I originally had T240HD in mind, since it offers the same resolution at 1920x1200, but I got a brand new T260HD which was CHEAPER than the T240HD at this one store... so I was like... "eh... what the heck"

And now I'm loving every little pixel of it :)

Pretty good TV/Monitor for non-professional usage. It doesn't hurt my eyes after writing a report or two which usually last for 3~4 hours at least.

ptjh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
check out new samsung

Which samsung is that - a new hybrid model or the one mentioned here? There are too many on samsung's site to discern!

Well it could be an easy decision - just 2 things

1) What's the deal with 'native resolution' - I have a 1st gen 15" unibody MBP with the better graphics card available at the time.

2) I'm not sure what resolution I currently get from my MBP screen (1440 by 900 perhaps?) - I'd like to know this to see how much more screen real estate i'm going to get with the samsung. Am i right in thinking if I buy a TV with the same res as my MBP I will have not extra info displayed (it will just appear larger)?

Currently I find it a pain constantly switching between plugins, Ableton live and scrolling sideways through my tracks.

Is there a way I can hook up a monitor to display something different than my MBP monitor so I effectively have 2 screens? By this I mean say have ableton live on my external tv/monitor and plugins on my MBP screen?

By the way I love the colours and clarity of my MBP screen so would like this to be the same in the samsung - the mbp makes my old vaio look yellow and fuzzy.

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Which samsung is that - a new hybrid model or the one mentioned here? There are too many on samsung's site to discern!

Well it could be an easy decision - just 2 things

1) What's the deal with 'native resolution' - I have a 1st gen 15" unibody MBP with the better graphics card available at the time.

2) I'm not sure what resolution I currently get from my MBP screen (1440 by 900 perhaps?) - I'd like to know this to see how much more screen real estate i'm going to get with the samsung. Am i right in thinking if I buy a TV with the same res as my MBP I will have not extra info displayed (it will just appear larger)?

Currently I find it a pain constantly switching between plugins, Ableton live and scrolling sideways through my tracks.

Is there a way I can hook up a monitor to display something different than my MBP monitor so I effectively have 2 screens? By this I mean say have ableton live on my external tv/monitor and plugins on my MBP screen?

By the way I love the colours and clarity of my MBP screen so would like this to be the same in the samsung - the mbp makes my old vaio look yellow and fuzzy.

Yes, you have 1440x900 on your MBP currently, and most of the 22"~28" HDTV/LCD Monitor have the resolution of 1920x1200.

When you hook up your MBP to these monitors, you'll have many display options.

First, you can turn off MBP's screen completely and solely use the monitor only. This gives you 1920x1200 Resolution, resulting more screen real estate. And you can close your MBP while you do this so it'll look neat since you can tuck your MBP away.

Second, you can mirror your MBP's screen on the monitor. Which means you'll have the same picture on your MBP screen AND the monitor. Each using their own maximum resolution (1440x900 AND 1920x1200) So pictures shown on two monitors will look a little different, since the real estate is different.

Third, you can extend your MBP's screen. You can use two screens totally differently at their native resolution (1440x900 and 1920x1200 separately)
And you can position the monitor anywhere you want it to extend.

So those are your options of using a secondary monitor, most people either use the First option or the Third option.

And the Samsung monitor's are pretty decent. Both MBP and the Samsung monitors mentioned here use TN panel.

But, to my knowledge, the T240HD/T260HD are discontinued. (In Korea, that is... where Samsung usually brings out the newest things first here)
But since it's discontinued, I'm sure you'll find some nice clearance deals on the T240HD and T260HD. I know the new models that are replacing the T240HD/T260HD are much thinner and stuff, but it's not going to worth the extra money.

Don't bother with T200HD, T220HD since they don't have 1920x1200 resolution... I think the T220HD has 1920x1050 or something...

Anyways, good luck with your monitor hunt :D

ptjh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks for the long post. Those monitors are still available on amazon uk so maybe I should wait until there discontinued for a bargain.

Is there anything to be said for getting a good monitor and (Digital /freeview TV tuner?

Am I right in thinking there are no 2560 x 1600 monitors under £500 (or even £1000), so the highest res I will get it 1920 x 1200, so I may as well get the samsung mentioned in this thread with the digital tv stuff built in?

ptjh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Is there anything to be said for getting a good monitor and (Digital /freeview TV tuner) instead?

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Don't know about freeview, but to answer your original question, I also have a T260HD and it's perfect.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Is there anything to be said for getting a good monitor and (Digital /freeview TV tuner) instead?

I was going to recommend that, actually. A quality monitor will have a much higher resolution than a standard TV, plus most TV tuners come with software to be used as a DVR. eyeTV by Elgato is very popular, and works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.