I want to come back to iphone, just plain worried!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maven1975, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I have been a long time Mac user and was one of the first in line for the 2G and 3G iPhone releases. I loved how in typical Apple world fashion, it just worked! I could not say the same for AT&T, so I jumped ship when the Palm Pre was released because of Sprints crazy good plans.

Overall, i think this was just a mistake. While I like WebOS and the Sprint network, Palm needed to put more juice into that device to make WebOS run properly. Also, it was like having the 2G iPhone all over again, because I had to wait 10 months for the first 3D games to hit. Crappy thing is, they were the same games I had played on the 3G over a year ago. Also, I had invested myself into mobileme, missed the idisk function and other direct sharing feature that were out of the loop because of my handset.

I have also tried the EVO 4G. I found Android to be fine at surfing the web and tweaking, but the OS still had issues foreclosing apps unexpectedly. Also, the only push email you can get is with exchange, gmail and yahoo. (There went my mobile me push that the Palm played nicely with) I had to install this secondary email app called K-9 and it was horrible! Just plain clunky and unpleasant to use. Games on the EVO 4G Android 2.1 were SO SO bad. This was a combination of the crappy snapdragon processor and the poorly optimized selection. Qik and Fring sucked for video and there is no 4G in my area. Although, I don't think I will find myself using facetime much anyways. Also, the build quality was horrible on the first batch of EVO's. I was unlucky enough to witness this first hand. While my screen didn't pop off, it was one snag on my shorts away from disaster.

I have been looking at the Sprint Epic 4G, but again its Android and think I will have the same email issues on that device as well. However, that phone is an absolute beast! Its and iPhone 4 internally with a slide out keyboard. I understand it not iOS, and polished, but heres whats scaring me about making the switch back to iPhone.

1. Antenna issues
    2. Proximity Sensor Issues (EVO has the exact same issue others have reported here on iPhone 4)
    3. AT&T
    4. Fragile materials (While i'm not clumsy.. wasn't one sheet of glass enough to worry about?)
    5. 2GB Data Cap
    6. Multitasking just not well implemented - Like WebOS

I know the developers are there to support the iphone and it has the best ecosystem by far. I also know that unless Google puts their foot down demanding that manufactures use a standardized chipset every year, developers will never take android seriously. Who can blame the developers? Spend all that time only to sell their apps to 10% of all android users? Lame. If they could make the Samsung Galaxy S hardware the standard, I truly think they could get developers onboard quickly and within a few years, balance things out nicely.

I dont know what to do... If you have stayed with your iPhone/ATT and never left, you wont understand where I am coming from. I have had a taste of cheaper plans with better overall service, but have been lost in the device shuffle.

Im sure there has to be someone out there that can shed some light on these concerns and my confusion.

2. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

1. The antenna issues don't affect everyone. For instance, mine only is affected when really squeezing the hell out of the iPhone 4. I have yet to drop a call.
    2. Easily fixed with a software update.
    3. Fine for me, maybe your city is different.
    4. Use a bumper and a skin. Easy enough. And if you prefer going naked, it's only an issue if you are clumsy or rough on your devices. If not, it's the most solid and expensive feeling iPhone yet.
    5. You have your original iPhone, right? Activate it again, select unlimited data, then activate your new iPhone. The data plan transfers over.
    6. That's a personal preference, but I enjoy it, and it works well.

3. jkwireless macrumors newbie

You deserve a better response...

I, too, left AT&T a few years ago despite the wonderful iPhone as the service issues in my city (Los Angeles) were too great and I didn't see things changing enough in the short run to smooth things over. I bought an iPhone 2g, unlocked it, and used it without a hitch on T-mobile.

Now, in walks the iPhone 4 - a phone that really needs a 3G network to shine, and T-Mo doesn't have that (3g frequency) compatibility, so while I can talk on the phone, the data functionality is too compelling to live with on an EDGE only network...so it's time to check out AT&T again.

I am curretnly doing a trial (30 day) with an new iPhone 4 on AT&T and have to say that, in my city, things have improved quite a bit - though things aren't perfect. When the phone works (e.g., service/signal is strong) it works flawlessly. I would agree that the so called death grip is real, however I use a case anyway, and that seems to resolve that issue just fine.

The phone is much zippier than previous versions, but is otherwise substantially similar. You have to be prepared to accept things the way Apple delivers them if you get an iPhone, but they largely do a nice job. Battery life is much better too, and I think the camera is excellent for a cell phone camera.

All of your concerns are valid, however, your best bet is to read opinions and then make a decision. Nothing is permanent - you can sign up for an AT&T account and do not port your number over until you are satisfied that you will be happy. Yes, that will cost you an activation fee and a month of overlapping service, but if it's that important to you, it's the safest route to go.

Good luck!

4. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

out of curiosity, did you have to pay 3G prices even though you were on 2g, or do they have a cheaper plan for 2G users?

5. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

All my friends have Android phones.

Got my iPhone 4, never second-guessed, couldn't be happier!

6. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Aren't here bigger things in the world to worry about?

The complaining and the whining is from less than 1/2% of 1/2% of 1/2% of 1/2% of the iPhone owners. The rest are extremely happy with the iPhone 4.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, I did "stray" from the iPhone earlier this year, got a palm pre plus on AT&T when released. And I agree with you, webos was great and I had a much more polished version than you, but the hardware and 3rd party support brought me back to the iPhone. Now I have great AT&T service where I'm at, but if you want to stay with sprint and don't want android, you should probably wait a couple of months. There supposed to be a new webos device in the works that's suppose to come out later this year and sprint should also be getting one of the new windows phones coming out, and if you decide after seeing those that you would rather take your chances with AT&T and come back to the iPhone, go for it then. In the mean time, you could overclock your pre which would help with the sluggishness. Visit precentral.net if you want more info on how to this (it's like the macrumors for palm.