I want to copy multiple e-mails from a mailbox to a memory stick

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Basho1234, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Basho1234 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have around 700 e-mails in a mailbox on my Mac I wish to copy on to a memory stick. I've read on the web and in Mac 'help 'that all I need do is place my memory stick in the USB port, go to 'Mail' highlight either the mailbox in question, or highlight the e-mails in the mailbox, press 'Options' and click and drag them all over to the removable device. and drop them in. Either way I get a small red disc sign with the number of e-mails in it and then when I try and drop them in the memory stick icon the red disk instantly zoomes back to the original point in 'Mail'. I've tried a number of 'Removable device' drag to poimts in 'Finder' and on my desktop, but it just keeps zooming them back to the original point. Strangely though, I can drop each single e-mail into the removable device one at a time. It's driving me nuts. How do I do a multi copy or download the e-mails, or better still copy the mailbox with all the e-mails in please?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I get the same behavior. It is weird that dragging multiple emails doesn't just copy each one. One option is to use the Save As under the File menu. This will save them as rtf files though, instead of eml. It would potentially be done with AppleScript, but would take time to figure that one. Automator may have some options as well if you want to look there.

3. Basho1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this angelwatt. Yes, 'Save As' does do it, but as continous rtf as you say, so thank very much for this breakthrough. It would be good though to save them in the original emi file format as they appear in 'Mail' , especially as some of the text is overwritten - so if you or anyone reading this has the answer please get back to me.