I want to cry :( My EXT HD is corrupt..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by airjuggernaut, May 23, 2009.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

So today I installed Windows 7 and was very happy.

I only had one thing left to do, install MacDrive.

So it turns out that I couldn't directly install MacDrive because it doesn't OFFICIALLY support Windows 7 yet, but there were simple work arounds online.

I followed one, and it installed Mac Drive just fine.

But one of the steps was to go into the "Disk Management" of Windows 7 and fiddle with the drive letters.

So as soon as I opened it up, it asked me to initialize disk. I accepted and it "Initialized" it.

I was worried that I did something wrong so I immedietly restarted into my Mac Partition and saw all my files still sitting there (yay).

I then went back to see what I could do, and this is where it all went down hill.

I fiddled with something and changed the drive to an MBR. I went back to Mac OSX to see what had happened and the message came up. "This drive cannot be read". I freaked out, went back onto windows and changed it to GUID, then wen't back to Mac OSX to find the same error.

I then called up my friend, who drove over to let me use his Disk Warrior, but that didn't work either.

I tried reinstalling my vista to see if MacDrive would recognize the drive there by chance, and no luck.

Now I'm sitting here wondering what the hell to do.

Is all the data screwed?

I'm not challeneged when it comes to computers, but I seriously put myself into a stupid position :(

I wish I had a RAID setup :(

2. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

OH THANK JESUS CHRIST, GOD, BUDDAH, AND ALLAH!

My Brother-in-law fixed it using TestDisk!

IT'S ALL BACK!

YAYAYAYAYAY!

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Glad to hear you got it sorted and it's working again.

By the way, MacDrive 8 Beta with Windows 7 support is now available. It's working perfectly for me in my Boot Camp Windows 7 install, no workarounds necessary. ;)

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Windows 7 is still in pre-release. It is probably a good idea to NOT install it on a production system. Or at least make backups of everything you intend to access using a pre-release OS version.

5. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Anytime you are playing with an OS, please use a spare disk to do it on. Leave your precious data alone at such time that you have a backup.

6. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you!

It works perfectly!

7. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I flubbed up one of my HDD w/ some archived movies on it today w/ XP in about 5 seconds!! Thinking that it was formatted FAT32 I plugged it right into my XP machine and pow after a 2 sec, innocuous disk initialization process it was thought to be lost.

I've since found this thread, and ran testdisk against it, and will hopefully be able to recreate the partition map using pdisk tonight w/ the info that testdisk gave me.

I hope it works!! Will post back later with outcome. Thanks for the thread.

8. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha,

I'm surprised and Glad that this thread helped someone else as well :)

Let us know how it works out!

9. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Got home, got out all the instructions to run pdisk, plugged everything into the ole Mac since the XP massacre, and bam! The disc mounted and all my movies were there!:D:eek::confused:

Nothing had been touched??! I was surprised and relieved. So I'm all good. And I'll definitely think twice or thrice before plugging an HSF+ formatted drive into a Windose machine again.:apple: