I want to cry need help with PC games and crossover

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by cat123789, Jun 21, 2009.

1. cat123789 macrumors newbie

I am so very sorry. I am so new to all this it is not funny. I just got a Mac a couple of days ago. and I am so ready to return it to go back to stinky PC. I do not want to do that. I am just so frustrated at how much I do not know

Well my problem is right now is I am trying to use two different games. ( I downloaded both with Crossover which I am winging cuz I can't find a detailed instructions on how to use lolol...)
    They are simcitysocieties and Lord of the rings battle for middle earth II
    Both games say please insert CD.....Ok then from here I found out that maybe I need a no-cdpatch....
    Have no clue if this is the case or not... well I think I found one out there for simcity however now it looks like I need to extract it it is a .rar file i guess...makes very little sense to me :) of course when I click it it says error....

also even if I could open it I have no idea where to extract it to... I am not even sure this is the same lingo for Mac as it was for PC ...aaahhh

I am sorry. I am really laughing at myself as well here but these games where not the only thing I have bang my head on the wall with so for for this MAc.
    Any help would be great. I sooo do not want to but all my games over again as well...by the time I do that I could also just but another computer LOLOLO:)
    Also sorry if I made no sense...please ask me to clarify anything. ...my brain is fried right now. :)

2. savvos macrumors regular

Others on the forum will be able to help you with Crossover (I haven't used it) but I personally have had great success creating a Boot Camp partition and using it to play Windows games. If you do that, you will be booting into Windows for when you want to run those games, so you will already be familiar with everything. The only annoying part is needing to reboot the computer wen you want to play those two games.

3. borcanm macrumors regular

Forget Crossover. Its crap and doesnt even work; Ive tried and I know. Just use bootcamp. If you dont know what boot camp is, go to the apple site and search for Bootcamp. You can find the bootcamp app in your utilities folder( Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities).

If you use bootcamp you can create a windows partition on your HD and install windows and use any program you want. Windows on a mac runs flawlessly @100% speed so no worries. Ive managed to play Crysis:warhead, Prince of Persia(2008), Wolverine(2009) and a few MMORPGs on my mac in windows. Everything runs fine.

Enjoy.

4. cat123789 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all so much yep it does seem to be crap and after much headache I installed the bootcamp partition and windows...lord of the rings is working fine so far ...what a headache ...thank you all ssssssoooooo very much. I am sure I will be back here for many more problems because I am sooo confused LOLOLOl
    Thank you again...off to play now that I worked so hard to get it on here hahaha

5. Supaklaw macrumors regular

Crossover is very hit and miss... with a higher percentage of misses. Battle for Middle Earth is definitely a Boot Camp game, I play B4ME2 Witch King all the time on there on it and runs great there. I got L4D and Oblivion installed on crossover but serious graphics issues. I'm trying Runes of Magic right now but for the most part do all my gaming in XP via Bootcamp.

Anyone know if they've fixed the L4D graphical glitch? I can boot it but can't see the menu... thanks.

6. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I tried to get Simcity4 to work with crossover games, it worked but all the building names were their file names. It was stable, but this detracted from the gameplay.

Anyway, dont bother with crossover games, just use boot camp. It would be much less frustrating

7. Supaklaw macrumors regular

After wasting an hour installing Runes of Magic I got the same issue with L4D... background image is visible but start menu isn't. Sticking with Bootcamp... Crossover, whenever it will manage to work one day, will be truly awesome. Right now it's not awesome.