I want to design an app. Where to start FIRST?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by LittleDebby, Sep 27, 2012.

1. LittleDebby macrumors newbie

Hey everyone this is my first post to the Forum. I randomly decided the other day that I want to try my hand at the app designing world. Since then I have been brainstorming, doing research, and sketching up some ideas. I have ABSOLUTELY NO designing background whatsoever. I could hire a developer but am interested in learning a bit about developing myself and trying out some simple ideas.

My question is: As an absolute beginner, what is necessary for me to learn and in WHAT ORDER should I learn them? (Java? C++? Objective-C? HTML?)

Please help!

-Debstah

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

1. Google Search

In that order.

Suggested search phrase: designing iphone apps for beginners

Regards,
    Tom

3. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

4. SteppingStone macrumors member

SteppingStone

Get some books, learn C and Objective-C. Also download Xcode and start playing around with it.

5. LittleDebby thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that and it seems like it requires knowing some programming.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Yeah, apps are programs, thus you need to know programming. You can take your idea to someone and have them code it for you; but you'll pay through the nose for it.

7. LittleDebby thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize this. What I'm saying is I can't just Google "How to program an app" because then it tells me how to program an app as if I already know basic programming. What I want to know is where I should start if I want to learn the basics? C++, Objective-C, or something else?

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Try googling "Learn C" or "Beginning C"

9. LittleDebby thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should start with basic C? Then move to C++? Then move to Objective-C? You guys are making this question way more difficult than it was meant to be.

10. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Sounds like app development might not be for you.

11. LittleDebby thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mean learning the programs will be too difficult, I'm ready to learn. I meant, all I asked was where to start and you guys are giving me a hard time instead of just giving me a straight answer. I'm gonna start with C.

12. Hazyb71 macrumors member

13. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

1. Start with Objective-C. It's an easy to learn modern language, with XCode as a very powerful environment for development, debugging, testings, and releasing.

2. Use google to find some easy-to-learn sample hello world apps. Once you go through several sample apps, you can start building some small projects.

3. Use Google Docs or Evernote to record EVERY piece of important knowledge you've learnt. It's important; it saves you tons of times when you need it later.

Hope you'll enjoy!

14. tillathenun macrumors member

Objective-C for Beginners

This is a pretty good place to start, but you do have to be 'programmically minded' otherwise you'll get very frustrated quickly!

Programming Objective-C by Stephen Kochan

Good luck!

15. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

To the OP:

I'd like to apologize for the attitude displayed by some of the previous posters. You came here looking for advice, obviously curious and excited, and you were met with sarcasm and disdain. There is no excuse for this, but all I can say is, 1. Welcome to the forum, and 2. Take what people say here with a grain of salt.

Now to actually answer your question:

Making apps for the iPhone / iPad requires some fairly advanced programming skill, but it's nothing that can't be done with due diligence and patience for the results you hope to achieve.

First, learn programming, C, and Objective-C. Fortunately, this can be one-stop shopping with this excellent book that starts at the beginning and moves slowly through the concepts. I can't recommend this book highly enough!

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C

Second, learn the iOS frameworks and the basics of programming in a graphical touch-based user interface. Aaron Hillegass is a master at making the difficult and dry into the exciting and fun. You'll learn by doing, with tons of little projects that show you not only what iOS can do, but what you can do!

http://www.amazon.com/iOS-Programming-Big-Nerd-Ranch

Both of these books, of course, would require you to have a Mac with Xcode installed.

Enjoy. And again, welcome to the forums!

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Back in the day we used to have more posts like this. People helping people. It was great.

I have to say thank you to iMacFarlane as well, as I am in the same boat os the OP, and have similar interests.

This seems like a great starting point.

17. WeatherMate macrumors member

You have to figure out your audience first and then get on with the app development.