I want to encrypt my backups, use an encrypted image?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by techmonkey, Dec 1, 2007.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I want to encrypt my backups that I do with SuperDuper. I have a 500GB partitoned wth 200GB for OSX. My MacBook Pro hard drive is 120GB. Should I make a 120GB Encrypted Image on the 200GB partition, or is there a better way to do this encryption? I tried creating a encrypted image, and it seemed to be taking forever so I canceled it. (15 min, it wasnt even 1/10 the way thru)

Any suggestions/comments welcome. Thanks.

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I use an encrypted sparse images for my sensitive files. Like you mentioned though, it takes forever. Moving files typically happens at 250kb/s. If you can wait the extra time than its a good solution, otherwise you're hooped far as I know.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If your backup falls into the wrong hands, I can see why you'd want it encrypted. But is there enough danger of that to make it worth the extra trouble?

Is your MacBook Pro just as susceptible to theft? Are you using FileVault on your home folder?

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Q brings up some good points.

If you're concerned enough about security of your backups, why not enable File Vault and protect your live files too? That way everything is encrypted and there's a lot less hassle (unless something goes wrong with FV).

5. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if I enable File Vault and backup my drive just to a partition on the external drive, will my home folder be encrypted on the external backup? If so, is it possible to view those files on another Mac? If so, how?

I am still fairly new to Mac. Years ago, I used the built in encryption for WinXP. I used Norton Ghost back then to backup my drive, and I later found out that my encrypted files were also backed up encrypted. Sounded good, but I also found I was suppose to backed some encryption key files hidden deep in the Windows folder in order to view the files.

How does this work with OSX?

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I have never used File Vault on my personal machine before, but I can tell you that your home folder will be encrypted on the external.

I'm not sure what the procedure for moving you home folder to another Mac would be, but I'm sure a path is available.