I Want to Get it Right the First Time--Help Please

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jgraider, Feb 13, 2010.

1. jgraider macrumors newbie

This is my first post, and I'm a newbie to this HD video stuff. I've been reading everything I can find about HD video and my Mac regarding work flow. I have a Imac OS X, duel core, 2GB, 2.66GHz computer. All I have is Imovie 8 right now, but would upgrade if need be.

I'm wanting the best picture quality I can get in an HD camcorder for $650 or so. I'm not opposed to mini dv, or SD flash media, but am not really wanting a hard drive camera. All I want to accomplish is to shoot the video, download it to my Mac, then burn a true HD DVD. That's it. I've been leaning towards the CAnon HV 30 because I've read it's simple, but not sure it's true HD. I've also read where the Canon HF10 is great, but then I get into the AVCHD compatibility/HD DVD burning issues.

Can you good people please give a rookie some advice. I'm not stuck on these two cameras only, I just want to get it right as simply as possible. Thanks for the help.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

the only way to get a true "HD DVD" is to get blu-ray burner. Everything else will be SD (Standard Def.) in a 16x9 format.
    What are you taping?

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Can't really comment on the cameras, but I'd upgrade to iMovie9 as iMovie8 is very limited in what you can do with it. It was designed more for those just want to upload straight to YouTube rather than make serious movies.

4. jgraider thread starter macrumors newbie

Upgrading to IMovie 9 is not problem. Thanks for that tip. I'm into videoing wildlife, and even some big game hunts with my kids/nephew. That's what I'd do with it mostly. I'm wanting to burn the best quality video I can.

5. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

This is false. It is possible to burn the blu-ray file structure to a standard DVD (using Toast or other software), though it will have very little capacity. However, a blu-ray player will still be required to play that disc back.

Some comments on your questions:

The Canon HV series are likely to provide the best quality at that price bracket, because the HDV they employ runs at a higher bitrate than their AVCHD variants on the hard drive and flash cameras. It is true that HDV is "not true HD" because its pixel count is 1440x1080, but it uses more rectangular pixels so it's effectively the same. You are unlikely to see a difference.

AVCHD is to be avoided for new people, in my opinion, though tape has its own disadvantages. You'll need Toast or other software to burn the blu-ray file structure to the DVD in the end if you want a disc that has actual HD content.

Hope that helps.

6. jgraider thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. What editing program do I need (is that what Toast is?) to burn highest quality dvd's? What do you mean by "it will have very little capacity"? Like I say, the fewer the headaches the better for me.

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

To be entirely honest with you, High Definition DVD creation is relatively limited on the Mac to those with larger budgets. Roxio Toast is a mainstay in the Mac disc creation arena and has been ever since about '95 back before it was Roxio. As for editing, Id also be tempted to say, try and find a copy of iMovie HD '06 or possibly even Final Cut Express as both of those are more suited to editing than iMovie '08/'09 (both of which are far to consumer orientated for my liking).

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What ever marketing schmuck came up w/"true HD" needs to be flogged. The term is "full raster" and while HDV 2 (aka 1080i60) is not full raster it is HD. Period. HDCAM, XDCAM HD, DVCPro HD, etc., are not full raster either but I didn't here anyone complaining about the BBC's Planet Earth (lots of DVCPro HD, 1280x1080 raster codec) or Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (HDCAM, 1440x1080 raster codec) not being 'HD enough.'

/pet peeve

Lethal

9. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Finally, someone else who finds that annoying :D

10. jgraider thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again fellas. In light of what I've learned, I've got another dumb question. Should a simple guy like myself be content with shooting the HD video, watching it on my 55" HD LCD, and not worry so much about spitting out an HD quality DVD? As long as I had the tape/SDHC card as backup, is that good enough for now? I have a Canon Elura camcorder now. Will the newer cams like the HV30/Hv40, etc be that much better picture quality?

11. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Yes, pretty much. There is really no need for a HD-quality DVD - Ive always found DVD to be fine quality wise. Also, its unlikely that youd get a much better picture quality. I mean I do pretty much all my filming on my trusty SD Canon MD-205 and it all looks superb, even if it isnt HD film.