I want to go wireless but i'm lost

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by New2Guitar, Mar 18, 2011.

1. New2Guitar macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to Mac so you probably have the answer at the top of your head but I'm not sure what to purchase; therefore, I need your assistance.

I want to go wireless and and connect the external HDD to wireless hardware to enable the use of Time Machine. Can this be done and which wireless should I buy?

This what I purchased: A seagate GoFlex 2T external HHD with this MBP system:
    15-inch: 2.2 GHz
    2.2GHz quad-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    750GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

Regards,

Chuck

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So, you want to connect the external HD to a router in order to access it wirelessly, right? You can do that with AirPort Extreme for example.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you don't go with the Airport Extreme be sure to research the equipment thoroughly to make sure it's compatible with a Mac formatted drive.

4. New2Guitar thread starter macrumors newbie

Hellhammer,

That's exactly what I want to do. I'll check out AP extreme

All ----thanks for the response.

5. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Make sure and do some googling and research before purchasing. Alot of posts saying the Airport Extreme + External HD for Time Machine is sometimes buggy and finicky, but then some say so far so good.

I almost went that route and actually bought Extreme and WD 2tb HD, but after much reding decide to return both and bought refurbished 1tb Time Capsule for roughly the same price. So easy to set up and if the hard drive ever dies in 3 years it will be covered by my Apple Care.