i want to have iOS 4.0

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Streptokinase, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Streptokinase macrumors newbie

i have an iphone 3GS 32GB jb/ul with blackra1n, and now i want to have OS4.0...can someone PLEASE PLEASE help me step by step what to do and how to get 4.0 with a jb and an ul....

P.S....what are the disadvantages of havong 4.0 on 3GS or is it ok to have it....

2. Streptokinase thread starter macrumors newbie

i am not using macbook....so i'm looking for jailbreaking through Windows...

3. Gavernty macrumors 6502

jailbreakme.com from your iphone's safari browser

4. Streptokinase thread starter macrumors newbie

by this will i have a jailbreaked 4.0? i mean will it download 4.0 directly in my phone as well?

5. Gavernty macrumors 6502

nope you are gonna have to restore to factory settings install 4.0.1 through itunes then jailbreak through jailbreakme.com.... i'm almost certain they have a working unlock app as well through cydia

6. Gavernty macrumors 6502

and 4.0 on 3gs should work fine... some users have reported their phone running a little slower... but i assume with a clean restore/install it should run fine

7. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

all i have to say is, i like the OP's username.

8. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

jailbreakme.com you use straight from your device/phone...no need for windows

9. Streptokinase thread starter macrumors newbie

i heard from somewhere that to get 4.0 u should be running a 3.1.2 before u get 4.0...is this true ??

10. Streptokinase thread starter macrumors newbie

ALSO can someone please tell me that to use jailbreakme.com do i have to shift+restore from itunes and then install the custom ipsw i am downloading right now from a link and saved in a drive in my pc or is there some other way....thats how i have been doing my jailbreaks previously though....

11. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

You have many posts asking the same question over again.You're making this way too hard.
    ...upgrade to IOS4.0.1- plug in and iTunes will ask you to upgrade
    ...go to safari on your phone-type in jailbreakme.com
    ...you will be directed to a website and a slider will ask you to slide to JB
    ...congratulations you are done and Cydia will be on your phone.

..yes it is that easy...glta

12. Streptokinase thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies....i am attempting to 4.0....fingers crossed....

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    And once you're JB install ultrasnow from cydia to unlock.
    Thats it.

14. Streptokinase thread starter macrumors newbie

ok...something happened...during the download of 4.0.1 my internet screwed and now i have to restart...it was halfway through the download....i have the custom 4.0 in my pc....if i shift+restore will it work? cz itunes is taking way longer to download the firmware....and then will i be able to access jailbreakme.com cz usually there is a screen with itunes logo and cable

15. ColinM macrumors member

Firmware: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-8618.20100715.Zapn4/iPhone2,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw

Make sure you know where it downloaded too, go into iTunes shift/alt or whatever it is in Windows on "Restore", select that file, wait for it to update it.

Start fresh, don't restore from backup.

Go to http://jailbreakme.com. Jailbreak.

Wait for it to restart. Boom. You have Cydia. There's an unlock in Cydia.

To speed up the process, don't sync right after you have it restored. Do it after the jailbreak.

16. Streptokinase thread starter macrumors newbie

17. Streptokinase thread starter macrumors newbie

itunes extracted the software then it was veryfying and after that error (3194)came :s

18. celticpride678

Error 3000-3999: Error codes in the 3000 range generally mean that iTunes cannot contact the gs.apple.com server on ports 80 or 443. This may be because out-of-date or incorrectly configured security or firewall software is interfering, or due to your Internet proxy settings. If you are using a proxy, try without using one or with a known-good network. If that does not resolve the issue, follow iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues.

19. Streptokinase thread starter macrumors newbie

what to do about error 3194....?? really frustrating....

20. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

Have you edited your host file?...to downgrade to a diff firmware?...or maybe you read to much info when all you need was a basic IOS4 upgrade thru iTunes.

21. celticpride678

Obviously you didn't read the post above yours.