Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
They don't treat anyone better. You have to have five dead pixels before they replace anything from anyone.

Dead and stuck are NOT the same thing. You can fix it yourself if it's stuck.

Out of curiosity, How would you fix a stuck pixel on a glass screen? I fixed a stuck pixel on a standard LCD display by putting pressure on it and it worked pretty well. But Glass? I would be afraid of cracking the glass. :eek:

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
i have one blue subpixel that is stuck on. it is so small i really have to look to notice it and it is only on lighter colored windows. it is a few inches down and a few inches in from the right side.
i did run the iTunes visualizer in full screen mode for a few hours once and when it stopped i discovered three or four of what looked to be dead pixels in the upper left corner. but after i let the display sleep for a few hours they came back on. that happened over a year ago and hasn't happened again, thankfully!

Canadian Bacon

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
On the Baltic Sea
It was 1997, I think - I bought 2 Dell laptops (lattitudes? It's been a while) for my mother and me.

They arrived and checked them both out. One was perfect, I gave that to Mom. The other had a few stuck pixels - 3 or 4, not together but spread out. I called Dell, and they said it was within their tolerances.

I asked if there was anything they could do and was told "no - but you can always use the 30-day return guarantee." So I did just that - Returned the unit, Get a refund, re-order.

Long story short - I did this 4 times and still had 3-4 stuck pixels on each. I spent much of my free time on the phone with Dell trying to get someone to actually look at the unit during their "testing stage" but to no avail.

Finally, I managed to get ahold of a VP along the way - I said "Look, I really need someone to check these before they ship. Both of our time is wasted dealing with this, and now you have 4 brand new laptops that you have no choice but to resell refurbished. You are losing money due to the fact that you don't have someone look at these before they get to me.

Three days later a new one shows up at my door - I check it out and it is perfect! The best part about it is they didn't require me to send the old one back first and go through the whole refund-reorder process. I promptly sent the 4th one back and never had another problem with Dell.

Sorry, I knew you were looking for Apple stories but I couldn't resist. And to this day I STILL wonder if that VP went down to the line and actually checked the screen before they sent it to me - Or if the 5th time I just got lucky....

China

PS - I may be a mac person now, but every Dell I ever owned was retired due to technology upgrades and if I plugged each of them in now, they would still work.

Good post. Just goes to show that sometimes when you want something done, you have to bypass all the people who 'can't help you' and go straight to the top - and be professional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.