I want to kill finder!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iHeather, Jan 28, 2012.

1. iHeather macrumors newbie

Seriously - I find it extremely difficult to use compared to my old mac which runs on leopard. I was downloading torrents which ended up going to ~Library/Application Support/Utorrent ... for whatever reason because I'd already redirected it to go to downloads... So I finally get them to redirect there correctly and The Utorrent folder in Application Support has disappeared! I know the files in the folder still exist because I can still open them no problem. I tried to search for them in spotlight and in terminal and I'm at a loss.

Can anyone help? :mad::confused:

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Get a copy of EasyFind. It looks for, and finds, files even in places Apple thinks man was not intended to look.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

If where they're going is invisible Spotlight won't necessarily find them. That's true by default with stuff in Application Support. You might want to change the settings on your libraries so they're visible.

Why Apple did this is beyond me; it wasn't a problem before. Maybe they thought new users would go in there looking for ebooks instead of their store, and it would cost them sales....

Rob

4. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Spotlight will not return search results from the /Library or ~/Library folders. That's true in Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion.

Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion, launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library

You can also reach your ~/Library folder by holding the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You can make the Library folder permanently visible by opening a terminal and entering:

Code:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library/
    That way spotlight will also be able to see it I think. And it will show up in finder without any complicated navigation.

7. iHeather thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the help everyone - found the easiest success in holding Opt while clicking Go.