I want to kill my "Magic" Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CaptainKebab, Apr 19, 2010.

1. CaptainKebab macrumors newbie

I got an iMac in February and it came with this wonderful little device. After getting the Magic Mouse configured to my liking I thought to myself, "Wow, this is so much better than my old mouse, I will never ever go back!" And yet, here I am using a 6 yo Logitech mouse that has yet to fail me.

90% of the time, the mouse works great, but that other 10% drives me crazy. For example, today I used the mouse all day as I worked with no problems. But 30 minutes ago the scroll function stopped working. I went into system prefs and made sure the "scroll" function was checked, it was. I unchecked it and re-checked it to see if it would reset itself. This caused system preferences to freeze and then crash. I opened it back up, tried the same thing, and it crashed again. After a little investigating I noticed that ALL the touch features had stopped working, not just scroll.

Ok, what next? I go to the bluetooth pref pane and try to disconnect the mouse so I can reconnect it and hope it resets. When I click "disconnect", nothing happens. It still says its connected. I try again, nothing happens. So I'm like, ok screw it I'll just turn off the mouse. Guess what? Bluetooth prefs still says its connected. Even closed system prefs and checked it again, still connected. I then turn OFF bluetooth on the iMac, turn it back on, and guess what? The mouse is still connected (mouse is off). So I turn the mouse back on and can't get it to work (read 'connect') at all. Note this has happened several times over the past couple months. I even took out the batteries, logged out and logged back in and bluetooth said the mouse was still connected, wtf?

Now I know from experiences over the past couple months that a restart will most likely fix the mouse. But I have a lot of open projects that I really don't want to close, not to mention that I shouldn't have to restart to get the mouse to work (its one of the most important and basic computer peripherals).

I like this mouse when its working, but its glitchy operation is really causing me some headaches. This has happened several times now and I'm almost to the point of saying screw it and go get a new Logitech (any recommendations?). Is there something I'm missing here? Its not good when the mouse functions just stop working the middle of an important work shift and you have to close everything via the keyboard and restart to fix it.

2. breathesrain macrumors regular

I've heard the MX Revolution is awesome. I have the VX Nano 450, which is basically a stripped down, cheaper, smaller version and I love it :D As much as you can love a mouse, anyway; I'm not THAT nerdy.

I've tried the magic mouse in the Apple store...and I just don't like it. Too heavy, not ergonomic, and an actual scroll wheel is better.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

tl; only skimmed

Have you tried BetterTouchTools or Magic Prefs? They both allow you to further customize the Magic Mouse to your liking.

I've had a Magic Mouse for well over a month now, and I've had no problems. I really like it, and I use it all day. Regarding the ergonomics..... I've gotten used to it with no ill-effects.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Sounds like a defective mouse. I've had mine since they came out and LOVE it.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

6. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

Exactly............but not a Magic Mouse ;)

7. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Ya, try Magic Prefs if you haven't. I love my MM.

8. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Exchange your Magic Mouse at the Apple store for a new one.

my iMac keyboard went bad during the 1st year and they gave me a new one. Certain Keys started sticking. And it slowly spread. I never spilled anything on it and my wife and kids said they didn't either even after many hours of torture.

9. CaptainKebab thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm yes, maybe I'll see if they can replace it. Ended up in giving in and restarting the iMac to get it to work. Though if you all aren't having trouble with yours then there might be hope. If not and if it keeps breaking on me, a new mouse it is!

As for BetterTouchTool and Magic Prefs, I've been using Magic Prefs for a while now. Definitely helps with the tracking speed issues. Speaking of Magic Prefs, I suppose I can't completely rule out a software conflict given that its third party and all.

10. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Mine did the same thing like twice, But now it works fine.