Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jryoo24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Hi,I'm a student who is highly interested in programming and all these stuffs.
I really want to start learning ios programming, but I just can't do it.
I've been studying VB for a year, and ios programming looks like some randomized combination of letters!
Where should I start with? Should I master C? C++?
Any advise would be helpful for me...
Thanks!

Jryoo24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Oh I didn't notice there was developer forum.

Oh I didn't notice there was developer forum.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
iOS Development isn't something that can be learned real fast.
Thing is, Objective C, is a superset of C, so it leans alot on C.
You can make very structured code, they tried to make it as readable as possible in English. if you read an Apple's method name, just try to read it in English (learned that from Stanford university video's). It will make sence in some way.
The thing I can't say enough is to check out the University video's from Stanford University, they are free on the iTunes store, and they teach you from scratch (they expect you to know OOP a bit, but they will still explain), till the end of an app. So maybe that's a good start.

Jryoo24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
iOS Development isn't something that can be learned real fast.
Thing is, Objective C, is a superset of C, so it leans alot on C.
You can make very structured code, they tried to make it as readable as possible in English. if you read an Apple's method name, just try to read it in English (learned that from Stanford university video's). It will make sence in some way.
The thing I can't say enough is to check out the University video's from Stanford University, they are free on the iTunes store, and they teach you from scratch (they expect you to know OOP a bit, but they will still explain), till the end of an app. So maybe that's a good start.

Okay, I decided to learn C, Objective-C, and xcode. Thank you for advising stanford lecture.

portreathbeach

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2011
I read 'Programming in Objective-C 2.0' by Stephen G. Kochan and Sams 'Teach Yourself iPhone Application Development in 24 hours'

It took me about 2-3 months to read these and make my own app which I am currently selling on the iPhone app store.

I have to admit I had previous programming experience in VB.net, but these 2 books are great. Just work through the 'Programming in Objective C 2.0' first to get an understanding of the language. There is a website associated with the book with lots of people discussing the various exercises etc. very handy.

The 'Sam's Teach Yourself iPhone Application Development' is quicker to work though, as it is more about showing you how to put various boxes, images etc. on the screen and how to link stuff to them. It also shows you how to set up a developer account with iTunes Connect and upload your apps to the app store. Personally I found this part more complicated than the actual programming.

Both books are welll worth getting if you want to program for the iPhone.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Honestly I'd say start with this since you have no programming experience by the sounds of it:

Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide

The book starts you with C, Moves to Objective-C, teaches you to use the developer documentation (VERY important) and then teaches you some more about C.

Once you do that book you'll be able to understand the Stanford video's and move on to other books.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.