I want to learn to DJ

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Miguel760, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Miguel760, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

Miguel760 macrumors member

DJing is one of those things I have always wanted to learn but was always scared I would ruin my favorite vinyl records. Now that I have moved to digital audio, I would like to give it DJing a shot. I would be using a 2013 Macbook Pro retina.

1. What program should I try? Djay? VirtualDj Home (or maybe shoot for pro?) or Mixxx? I have read about Traktor but I am not sure if I should invest that much right away.

2. Do I NEED something like a plug in digital turntable or can I stick with the mouse and keyboard?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I think I might have started this thread in the wrong section. If so, moderator please move to the correct sub forum, thanks.

2. dirtnnasty macrumors member

Traktor is one of the best Software for that, but you need even the hardware to be a pro...

I think to start a free solution is even ok... For example Mixx?

In case you become familiar with the tasks (fading) you can think about a investment...

3. djhyro macrumors member

with equipment going digital, DJing these days is subjective...what do you want to learn? mixing/blending songs together? if so, i feel the easiest way to learn is to learn with either turntables+mixer (Technics 1200's + Rane 57 or 61) or a DJ controller (i.e. Traktor S2/S4, Pioneer DDJ-SX, Numark NS7, etc)

you can learn with software-only solutions like VirtualDJ but i think it will be harder to get the concept down without manual intervention of the pitch control/crossfader/volume faders

also i would advise using anything with automatic "sync" buttons that sync the tempo for you..that takes away from the entire concept of hearing two separate songs in your head, figuring out which song has a slower/faster tempo and sync'ing those tempo's together with the pitch controls..

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Ask this guy for lessons. He is leeeeeeeeeeeeegeeeeeeeeeeeeeendary.

Attached Files:

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you're serious about it, invest a couple of hundred bucks and you'll appreciate it much more.

At the very least: Traktor + USB Controller (with onboard mixer) + Soundcard (you could even get a USB Controller with an onboard sound card such as the Numark Mixtrack Pro).

Personally, I use Traktor with a Mixtrack (not pro), a pair of Novation Dicers Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio card and a pair of HDJ-500s. Quite a nice, compact setup.

6. EMJR macrumors newbie

Get Virtual DJ for mac ver 7.05

It's free full use also does video. Works well on my MBP. Mostly what I see used out there.
    EMJR