Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Hello all,
I just finished high school so I got a whole summer ahead of me before I go to college and I thought I should do something productive and something that I like.
I want to make an iOS app for the iPhone/iPod Touch (for now) about the activities & events in my town.
I saved up the 99$ bucks for the Dev program and plannig to make an account asap.
I have some question though :

a) In high school I've studied mecatronics (CAD design + Math & Fizics + computer science). At the Computer Science class one semester we learn how to make html5 codes so I have tiny tiny basic on programing but that is not enough, therefor my question : Where can I find some good books on iOS developing ? Does Apple give you some literature when you register ? Is lynda.com a good place ?

b) Does it worth it ? I'm not talking about money because I plan to make the app free, I'm talking about time & satisfaction.

*Sorry for my English.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi,

To program for iOS you need to know some C and Objective-C.

A book I recommend you read: Big Nerd Ranch: Objective-C programming.

This book will get you started with C basics and Objective-C.

Once you've read that book, you can take a look at some iOS development books / videos

These are some - depending on your style

1. Stanford's CS193p class - Coding Together (Winter 2013)

This class teaches iOS programming for iOS 6. The course is free on iTunes U.

2. Big Nerd Ranch: iOS Programming (3rd Edition )

Also a good book - has an online support forum to help with challenges and questions

3. Apress: Beginning iOS 6 programming

This book for me was the best - it assumes very little programming skills and takes you step by step on each chapter.

As to your last question: Only you can answer that.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Suggestion: Don't spend the $99 on making a paid iOS developer account. The public* Xcode, the public* iOS SDK, and the public* iOS simulator are all a free download from the Mac App Store. Just download Xcode from the Mac App Store and I think Xcode will automatically download the other things I mentioned.

*The beta versions of these all require you to have a paid account, but the currently public versions are totally fine (probably better, in fact, since they're more stable) for learning with.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Suggestion: Don't spend the $99 on making a paid iOS developer account. The public* Xcode, the public* iOS SDK, and the public* iOS simulator are all a free download from the Mac App Store. Just download Xcode from the Mac App Store and I think Xcode will automatically download the other things I mentioned.

*The beta versions of these all require you to have a paid account, but the currently public versions are totally fine (probably better, in fact, since they're more stable) for learning with.

Yeah, I know they are free but don't I have to pay the 99$ fee to have my app in the App Store ?

----------

Hi,

To program for iOS you need to know some C and Objective-C.

A book I recommend you read: Big Nerd Ranch: Objective-C programming.

This book will get you started with C basics and Objective-C.

Once you've read that book, you can take a look at some iOS development books / videos

These are some - depending on your style

1. Stanford's CS193p class - Coding Together (Winter 2013)

This class teaches iOS programming for iOS 6. The course is free on iTunes U.

2. Big Nerd Ranch: iOS Programming (3rd Edition )

Also a good book - has an online support forum to help with challenges and questions

3. Apress: Beginning iOS 6 programming

This book for me was the best - it assumes very little programming skills and takes you step by step on each chapter.

As to your last question: Only you can answer that.

Thanks ! Will get a good look at those free ones.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah, I know they are free but don't I have to pay the 99$ fee to have my app in the App Store ?

You do, but you have to pay that $99 fee annually. I suggest you hold off on paying it until you're ready to start taking advantage of what it offers you. Personally, it took several years before from when I first started looking at iOS stuff until I was ready to publish on the app store.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816

----------

Thanks ! Will get a good look at those free ones.

If you want a nice and easy start on programming, there is a YouTube user called thenewboston who does some objective-c and iPhone dev tutorials. But please be warned, he skips a lot of things, so make sure you use another source after you are done wi his tutorials. This will just give an easy beginning.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Thanks guys.
I do have another question : How can I share an app (still in developing) with some people to help me locate bugs & errors ? Is it enough to register their phones in my dev account ?
I am currently finding tutorials & books for beginners and planning on starting developing within 30-40 days, in mid August.

Sonnestah

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
Thanks guys.
I do have another question : How can I share an app (still in developing) with some people to help me locate bugs & errors ? Is it enough to register their phones in my dev account ?
I am currently finding tutorials & books for beginners and planning on starting developing within 30-40 days, in mid August.

You will need to pay $99

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
The best thing to locate bugs is to come to a forum like this one. When I started learning this forum was instrumental to me. People who can just learn from books and no outside help, and become good coders, are far and few between. A huge part for me was to take a computer class at a local city college. Then I could finally learn how to speak to other developers, this forum is the next best thing.

If you do want to share an app you need a developer account for $99 and I use https://testflightapp.com to share my apps with my beta testers. But if you know nothing about programming then skip that part for now since you are ways away from being able to send your friends anything.

Don't rush yourself. I spent a year learning C and Objective C before I ever started an app or GUI interface.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah, I know. Read my first post. I have the money.

You needn't pay to have mistakes pointed out to you.

You can simply send them your project + associated source files and resources (basically send them the whole directory Xcode created for you when you created your project). Assuming they have Xcode, they'll be able to open your project and point out your mistakes. Even if they don't have Xcode, they could point out mistakes in your source code (though not resource files such as storyboards, xibs, and data models.) If you're asking on forums such as these, it's generally best if you just post the relevant code, surrounded by code tags so that it's properly formatted.

If, rather than point out mistakes, you mean you actually want to deploy your application to their iOS devices, then yes, you will need to pay the $99 to enroll and and their devices to a list of devices registered with your account.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Everything is going great so far.
I just finished reading a great book for beginners.
Planning to join the Dev Community sometimes next week, after watching some more "advance" tutorials !
So excited ! :D:D:D:D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Everything is going great so far.
I just finished reading a great book for beginners.
Planning to join the Dev Community sometimes next week, after watching some more "advance" tutorials !
So excited ! :D:D:D:D

Just as a BTW, the dev center has been down for the past 63 hours or so... nobody outside of Apple knows why. My iOS dev account is set to expire in about two weeks...

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
I'm a new developer myself, online tutorials were the best way to go for me. Lots of info on YouTube. You should learn Android as well, it's pretty easy to pick up.

Good insight... I'm at this crossroad. It appears app development may be more knowing relationships and manipulating Xcode than it is raw coding... So should I skip learning the C language and move on to the concept of learning to manipulate Xcode or learn python, C, Obj C?

Not trying to hijack thread, but it seems there are many other folks in my situation, zero background in programming and has a desire to learn the right way. Obviously the purist will say learn entire languages, but I want to know what I need now and work on perfecting that.

Great topic.

----------

Yeah, I know.

----------

http://www.amazon.com/iOS-Programming-Ranch-Edition-Guides/dp/0321821521/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I know it's for iOS 5 but a friend gave it to me for free.

I have their beginning Obj C book that starts with C... I liked the material. I just got wrapped up in 5 other books or websites. I need to decide what method I want to use and fits my learning best and stick wit it.

Thank you for the info.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
----------

I have a tutorial series on YouTube for Android (when I said I was a new developer, that was for iOS.) Just started the series for absolute beginners, if you want to join along. (Sorry, not trying to advertise.) I wouldn't start developing for Windows or BlackBerry if you're a new developer, the user population is small. Stick with the big guys for now.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/LackleTap

Can one use a mac to develop android? :D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Good insight... I'm at this crossroad. It appears app development may be more knowing relationships and manipulating Xcode than it is raw coding... So should I skip learning the C language and move on to the concept of learning to manipulate Xcode or learn python, C, Obj C?

Not trying to hijack thread, but it seems there are many other folks in my situation, zero background in programming and has a desire to learn the right way. Obviously the purist will say learn entire languages, but I want to know what I need now and work on perfecting that.

Great topic.

I disagree. Apple strives to keep the amount of boilerplate code you have to write to a minimum, but making a program still involves huge amounts of coding.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Understand back to python...

Why? It depends on what you're aim is, but it seems to me C is a more practical language to know for iOS/Mac development.

I'm finding Python makes a pretty great cross platform language (I'm in the process of learning it as my... 5th/6th language, concurrently with JavaScript.)

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
Why? It depends on what you're aim is, but it seems to me C is a more practical language to know for iOS/Mac development.

I'm finding Python makes a pretty great cross platform language (I'm in the process of learning it as my... 5th/6th language, concurrently with JavaScript.)

U recommended to start there. Then C. I love python so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.