I want to make DVD labels at home. Any recs for software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oxband, Nov 3, 2016.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I need to print DVD labels, for the disc and jewel case, at home. Any software suggestions? Preferably free but I'll happily pay for a good program if it's worth it.

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Yes, even- say- Pages plus a PDF template work well.

• Lay the template on the page,
    • Design your disc to cover the template disc shape in full + a little bleed.
    • Click the template page and make it transparent.
    • Print a page to regular paper.
    • Put that behind the DVD sticker page.
    • Hold it up to a bright light to be sure you have everything aligned just right.
    • If so, print to the actual DVD sticker page.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Disc labels have never worked well. If the label isn't perfectly placed or if they start to come unstuck it off-balances the disc and you are left with a coaster because it's very difficult to remove the label completely. An off-balance disc could possibly even damage your optical drive.

The best ways to label discs are:
    • Get a Lightscribe drive and media. This option limits you to b/w labels, and I'm not sure what the state of lightscribe software is for Mac these days... or
    • Get printable media and a printer that can print directly on the discs.
    I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but stick-on disc labels are nothing but trouble in my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree though.

4. MSastre macrumors regular

MSastre

I have to agree on stick-on labels being nothing but trouble. I use printable media, an Epson printer, and Discus software from http://www.magicmouse.com. Outstanding results.