I want to mirror my iPad screen on my TV

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Bladery, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Bladery macrumors 6502

hey guys,

I know, there is the cable from Apple itself but it's ridiculously expensive and I don't want to spend that much!

Are there any 3rd party accessories who can do the same?
    I haven't found any so far.

Thanks for your help!

2. bensisko, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016

bensisko macrumors 65816

3. Bladery thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your answer.

I've seen such a cable like you mentioned but it doesn't just work! See there is an instruction how it works. It's not just plugging the cable in and that's it

4. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

In this case, I'd just get the Apple official cable (Lightning->HDMI) or an Apple TV. The nice thing about the OEM Lightning->HDMI cable is that you can get a cheapie HDMI->VGA adapter, plug it into that, and be able to connect to just about any sort of display/projector/TV out there.

5. Bladery thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, thanks for your answer too.
    But as mentioned above, they are so expensive!

6. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I'll admit that they aren't as cheap as a passive Mini-DisplayPort->VGA or Mini-DisplayPort->HDMI adapter, but there is quite a bit of technology in those (some of the info might have changed with newer iOS devices): https://panic.com/blog/the-lightning-digital-av-adapter-surprise/

It's basically like a little wired Apple TV (in terms of video and using something like AirPlay), so that might make the price a bit better to swallow. I sort of just sucked it up and got one for my kit. At least there are plenty of sources for dirt-cheap HDMI cables to connect to it.

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

8. SS4Luck macrumors regular

SS4Luck

Do you have to have WiFi to do it with an Apple TV or can you Bluetooth from your phone to your aTV?

9. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

You need WiFi to stream to the Apple TV. But you don't necessarily need a network available as the Apple TV and iPad/iPhone can create an ad hoc connection to stream directly between them.

Also, as far as streaming goes there is a third option beyond the AV adapter and Apple TV. If you look on Amazon/eBay/wherever for devices such as the Justop EZcast streaming stick you'll find them ridiculously cheap and many of them also include AirPlay support.

You can get one on Amazon UK for instance for just £17 and it supports AirPlay. Not as elegant or advanced as an Apple TV, but it gets the job done cheaply.

10. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightn...r=8-1&keywords=apple+hdmi+to+lighting+adapter

Yes, it is expensive and you need an HDMI cord ($4-5 bucks) but this is all I've ever used and it works. Just plug the HDMI cord into the adapter then into the display and it connects automatically (make sure the correct input is selected on display) plus you can charge your iPad while watching. Worth the investment but you can try cheaper brand adapters (my brother did and got lucky) but they are hit and miss to work.

11. Bladery thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, thank for your answer!
    Can you recommend any cheaper cable?
    I just find some where you need to enable personal hotspot and do some stuff to get it work