I want to murder my (U3) USB Flash Drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Taylor C, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

All I can say is, what the hell. I picked up a 1G USB flash drive today just for a backup if I need to manually transfer files from home/school/work, and I figured I'd just format it and remove the monstrosity that is U3 from it by formatting it when I got home.

Yeah, right. They don't want you to do that. Every time I plug it in, in addition to the USB volume an additional "U3" volume pops up in the form of a CD. For those of you that don't know, U3 is software designed for USB sticks and acts as an interface for on-the-go Windows applications to be installed and run from the drive itself. Both U3 and SanDisk provide removal tools for the bundled program, but of course they only run on lolWindows.

I don't own any Windows machines, and have recently wiped all my Boot Camp partitions because I simply don't need anything Windows related anymore. I used to use it for Windows-only games, but I have no need for it anymore. I do have access to a Windows machine, but after wiping the flash drive Windows doesn't recognize it as a valid volume and says its a corrupted USB device. It's formatted as FAT32, though it originally came with FAT16.

I'm honestly about to go return this piece of crap and just buy a different one. I knew U3 was a pain, but I had no idea how bad it actually was. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, I heard those things are devilish...when you say that you wiped it, did you just erase or reformat the partition that mounts as a USB partition in OS X? How does it look in Disk Utility? Can it be re-partitioned using an MBR and a single FAT32 partition, and can a Windows computer see it then? For that matter, will Windows let you reformat it (on the computer you were testing it with)?

3. Taylor C thread starter macrumors 6502a

Windows won't even mount it. It shows up as two separate volumes in Disk Utility: One is a 973.8 MB volume that I've got complete read/write access to, and I'm able to format/repartition that, but the other is a 60.4MB volume that I can only read. This is the volume with the "U3 System" volume on it.

Edit:
    [​IMG]

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, interesting... what a bunch of jerks! Just make a normal drive, people! :p

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. gonyr macrumors 6502

Did you erase and format it, or did you run the u3 (sucks) uninstaller? I had to bring mine to a friend's place to run the uninstaller, but had no problems. It sounds like you may have just formatted instead. I think at this point, I'd just return it and get another. I do like mine - the small size and retractable port (no cap to lose!) are great.

7. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

http://www.u3.com/uninstall/

It can be removed. I have a U3 enabled sandisk cruzer micro 2gb and I removed the u3 stuff, and now it acts like a normal flash drive and only 1 drive appears in the disk utility.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sadly you still need it in its original condition and you have to use Windows.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Is there any way to do it from the terminal if you don't have easy access to a Windows machine that you can dowload the uninstaller to?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Allow me to brief you on the synergies between my boot and your ass, right? :eek: ;) :D

11. Taylor C thread starter macrumors 6502a

I erased it and formatted as MS-DOS (FAT32). How can I return it to its normal state so it'll autorun when plugged into a Windows machine and I can then run the uninstaller?

12. bingefeller macrumors 6502

I bought one of these today and want rid of that U3 thing too. Has anyone worked out how to remove it?

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

As mentioned, there is a Windows-only uninstaller, if you have Boot Camp, Parallels, VMWare Fusion or access to a PC you can use it...its shocking that there is no way to get rid of it with OSX...

14. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Yeah I know, I read about the Windows only installer on various forums. I was just surprised that no one knew how to get rid of it on a Mac. I'm sure that there's a way.

Anyway, I downloaded the programme to my Dad's computer and erased it from there. I'll be staying away from U3 stuff in the future I think.

15. Jimmeh macrumors newbie

I don't get it. Why would they not make something to uninstall their stupid software for mac when the reason I can't use it is because I only have a mac and it doesn't do anything on my computer but sit there and get in the way?
    Plus I deleted all the crap that was on it while trying to make the U3 stop mounting so it probably wouldn't work if I found a PC to uninstall it with. I just got this flash drive because my other one inexplicably stopped working... I'm sick of dealing with flash memory problems :confused:

(As you can see, I am having the same problems)