I want to open mail along with another app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dany M, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Dany M macrumors 6502

So I have my hotmail account through macfreepops and it works wonders, I tried httpmail but it doesn't work.

I was wondering if there is a way that whenever I open mail, macfreepops opens along with it. I also want to hide macfreepops from the dock, is there a way to do any of these things?

THanks in advance!

2. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

You might want to try this little plugin created by Daniel Parnell. It integrates hotmail directly into mac mail:

HTTPMail Plugin Release 1.51

Click the link that says 'ok, I’ve just released a new version of the plugin for Leopard here.' It will lead you to downloads to which ever version of OS X you are using.

kudos to Daniel, makes my life so much easier!

3. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

You could probably create a simple automator action or apple script that would launch both applications at the same time. To hide the app in your dock, open the app and control click the dock icon and select hide.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

he said that he tried that already. :confused::confused:

anyways, if you can i'd imagine that an applescript would be your best bet, but i'm not the best person to ask about writing those

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

1.) Hide application from the dock you can added the following to the applications info.plist (inside the application bundle)

NSUIElement string 1

There are applications that will do this for you such as dockless

2.) Automater is really easy for this. All you need to do is add two tasks of Launch Application and and select the application you want to launch and then save it as an application. Run that and both of your applications will open.

Or if you want the other program to quit when the first one does I have a script that will do it. Save this an application and simpy run this instead of launching your application and both should run and when you quit your first application the second will quit and then this program will also quit. Obviously change the names of the applications to what you need.

6. Dany M thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I have undocked macfreepops and now, i am having issues with automator, since i Have never used it, can someone clarify, uh what i should do?

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Open Automator, when presented with the welcome screen choose custom.

Easiest to just search for launch

Picture 1.png

Drag two copies of it to the right and choose the appropriate applications.

Picture 2.png

Then file - save - give it a name and then choose "file format" application. This will create an application that will launch the two applications you select.