I want to Overclock my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jji7skyline, Aug 25, 2011.

1. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

I am aware of the dangers and everything... ;)

I just want to know how to do it. I've googled like crazy and only found something for Mac Pro...

What about a way to control the turbo-boost feature on my i5? I've googled myself crazy on that too... but only found stuff for PCs...

Please don't tell me it's not possible... :D

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Why?

#1 it's not easy if even possible

#2 there are too many risks involved for not enough gain

But, if you insist, type in overclock into the search box in the upper right corner of the page and you will find a lot of threads on this topic.

Happy CPU melting! :rolleyes:

3. Dnix macrumors 6502

I wonder why. :rolleyes:

4. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If you want to OC the GPU little bit higher, you can try AMD Overdrive on Catalyst Control Center, or MSI Afterburner. It can give you a few extra FPS on gaming.

For CPU well it's not easily doable since iMac use default and non-user overclockable CPU. Mac don't have BIOS which accessible for user and allowing you to tweak CPU voltage, FSB or multiplier.

Why buying iMac in the first place if you love to overclock anything? Buy a MacPro or decent PC for that. And what benefit will you gain by boosting CPU clock? TurboBoost allow CPU to be over clocked within safe range, on the right moment when the tasking demand it. Does that still not enough for you?

A 5Ghz overclocked i7 won't make Safari launch faster, or make Photoshop boosted by 200%!! Even gaming wouldn't utilize CPU that much, it depends of GPU much more. Beside of boasting and bragging right on hardware side, you gain nothing. It's just a displayed GHz on screen. :rolleyes: i doubt that makes a difference with performance

Like others said, happy CPU baking

6. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72