Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Long story short- I'm paranoid something might be lurking on my Mac. Not a huge deal and I'm probably just being over-cautious BUT I'd like to perform a one-off scan of my Mac just to put my mind at ease.

I've performed the Terminal-based 'tests' for the Flashback infections and nothing's show up so that's all good.

Can anyone please recommend a good, free anti-virus scanner for the Mac. I literally wanna install, scan, uninstall- any advice?

As stated above I fully expect it to come up crystal clean but for peace of mind it never hurts :)

Many thanks all for any advice.

TouchArchive

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
IL
Long story short- I'm paranoid something might be lurking on my Mac. Not a huge deal and I'm probably just being over-cautious BUT I'd like to perform a one-off scan of my Mac just to put my mind at ease.

I've performed the Terminal-based 'tests' for the Flashback infections and nothing's show up so that's all good.

Can anyone please recommend a good, free anti-virus scanner for the Mac. I literally wanna install, scan, uninstall- any advice?

As stated above I fully expect it to come up crystal clean but for peace of mind it never hurts :)

Many thanks all for any advice.

Here is:
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
That was quick! :)

Thanks very much for those replies, I'll have a good shufty when I get home and let you know how I get on.

Cheers for such quick and helpful responses :)

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
By default ClamXav is configured to scan only on demand while Sophos will install a permanent background process that will scan every actions on your mac.

If you uninstall the AV app anyway after the scan, it doesn't matter which one to use.

But you could keep ClamXav and do a scan once in a while. When not using it, ClamXav will just be in your application folder and not doing anything. (Unless you activate the Sentry feature).

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
By default ClamXav is configured to scan only on demand while Sophos will install a permanent background process that will scan every actions on your mac.

If you uninstall the AV app anyway after the scan, it doesn't matter which one to use.

But you could keep ClamXav and do a scan once in a while. When not using it, ClamXav will just be in your application folder and not doing anything. (Unless you activate the Sentry feature).

Good to know, thanks :)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

Lots of the AV apps are extremely difficult to uninstall. Several threads in the forum from people frustrated at being unable to install anti-virus. Stick with ClamXav.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I agree that ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system. I also recommend you practice safe computing, including the following:
  1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I agree that ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system. I also recommend you practice safe computing, including the following:
  1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild.

That should be stickied :)

Many thanks for the tips. I knew many of them but the DNS one's new to me. Thanks for taking the time to post in such detail :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.