I want to purchase a MacBook Pro, but I need advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rsowers81, Feb 24, 2008.

1. rsowers81 macrumors newbie

I want to purchase a mabook pro, but i have a deal with my grandmother where if i get certain grades i get one, but my grades aren't "up-to-par". My pc is starting to show it's age, and will only run in safe mode. how can i convince her to get me a macbook pro before my computer fully dies on me.

REVISION: i don't have enough time to raise my grades before the promised time to get my laptop.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Tell her, your taking a tonne of computer courses and you can't get good grades because your current computer is crap.

OR

Tell her you need to get good grades, and they aren't up to par just yet, but you promiss they will be.

4. rsowers81 thread starter macrumors newbie

She knows what classes I'm taking because she's paying for my school, and I've tried the second one.

5. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Raise your grades and let your computer die. Then when it comes time to replace it, your grades will be up and the new Macbook Pro will be out.

Why do you need a Macbook Pro?

6. claytonaugust macrumors newbie

I've got an idea. Thank her for paying for your education, apply yourself in school, and stop trying to swindle your grandmother ;)

7. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Grandma is paying for your school... your getting not so great grades.... and you want her to give you MORE?

Ever think about earning your own way in life? Getting a job? collecting aluminum cans?

Hate to tell you this... but when school is over.. Granny aint gonna be around forever.... I guess my generation was just instilled with more imagination, ethics and incentive. Since the day I moved out of my dads house, I have never relied on anyone to pay my rent, make my car payments, cover my tution. Did I have to slave long hours? you bet your ..... But I appreciated what I had all that much more.... because I earned it.

Is this a lecture? yeah. Do I think you give a darn? No. Do I think you will sponge off Granny for as long as you can.. Yeah.

8. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

couldn't agree more..no reason to take advantage of your grandma after all she has done and still is doing for you...now its your time to return your part of the bargain

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I second that. Also, get a job and help pay for a new computer if you want one. Nothing should be expected in life, you work for what you want.

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Why don't you pay for it yourself That's what i do and everyone else, you buy your own crap so someone can't tell you no it's money you buy what you want.

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think you've answered your own question there. ;)

Do a bit more of this next term, and see if that helps raise your grades to the required level.

12. rsowers81 thread starter macrumors newbie

to all who told me to get a job, im not old enough yet, so that's not an option, unless ya'll want me to deal drugs or something then im inable to make my own money, i have appx 700 dollars in savings that i could use to help purchase one but i have to save the money so when i get a car i can pay my own gas and insurance.

13. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Well, I'm guessing that if your grades aren't very good, then you probably can't spell "screwed".

14. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

Unless you're like 8 years old, you're not too young. Ever think of babysitting, or odd jobs for neighbors?

There are plenty of jobs out there for youngsters, you just have to look! (What made you think of dealing drugs? Are you that stupid that you couldn't think of any legit job first?)

Use part of your savings to get a Pismo or an Ibook, one of those should be fine until you can save enough money for a MBP.

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Or better yet, an up to date Windows computer. If you can't afford a Macbook Pro without shaking down your grandmother, you don't need a Macbook Pro.

16. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

You think $700 will be able to get you a car, gas and insurance?

Just wondering, how old are you?

Just bring your grades up, you will feel so much better when you get that MBP. My little brother does not work but my parents do not want him to and told him his only job is to be a student and get above 3.5. He works on the farm with my parents when they ask him to and does not get paid. Studies hard and guess what happens when you study..

His set up composes of a 24" monitor, powerbook g4, playstation 3, Intuos 9x11 tablet, 6d pen, mixer, mx revolution and denon headphones. Currently waiting for MBP update.

Yea its better if you work for it and pay it yourself but you don't have that option, you have the option of studying for it. You should study then to get that macbook pro.

You still never told me why Macbook Pro and not macbook regular or macbook air.

17. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

Feel Bless

You know, Feel lucky and blessed that you have someone who is paying for your education. A lot of people like me have to pay for school, rent and possibly everything you think of to get ahead in life.

Save up your own money from allowances or get a part time job and save the money up.

Whatever you buy from your hard earned money even if it is a cheap ass PC will seem like a jewel to you.

Also, let me give you some advice. Dont push it- one day it will fall.

18. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I like others agree there is no magic for convincing someone to buy you something you are not entitled to.

You and your grandmother made an agreement and you are not holding up your end of the deal. Sorry that equals no mbp.

I also highly doubt you NEED a mbp given that you apparently aren't old enough to work as you said.

How about working hard and showing your grandmother her hardearned money isn't wasted by a lack of effort in school.

19. uNext macrumors 6502

pssssttttt,

Want to know a secret?

If you do good in school and finish you wont have to rely on anybody to give you want you want.

Apply yourself NOW and future proof your life.

There is nothing more satisfying then to be able to spoil yourself.
    You are lucky Grandma is helping you with school.

Me and 10000000x other people had to work ****** jobs and long hours
    to make it by because we did not have grandma to help us out.....
    My parents did not make enough money and helped with what they could
    but i decided to depend on me and nobody else.

Now i make enough money to own whatever i want when i want it.

20. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Its great that you want a Mac, but you really should get one within your budget. This means getting a used MacBook or iBook. You probably don't need a MacBookPro anyway. The MB should be powerful enough for most students (except for college students that need a MBP for a class).

Until the day you can either buy or earn a Mac, you should make the best of what you have and fix your PC. You might try running Spybot (which runs best in safe mode anyway) and clearing out your startup items by running msconfig.

21. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

Just go for a macbook instead, Cheaper , and better suited for your needs.

And also WHY EXACTLY IS IT THAT YOU DONT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO RAISE YOUR GRADES? I MEAN EVEN IF YOU GO PAST THE DEADLINE YOU GRANDMA GAVE, YOU ATLEAST YOU GOT YOUR GRADES UP ! Get a FREAKIN JOB. LAZY ASS PUNK. its kids like you that give teens like me a bad reputation, making people thhink teens these days are lazy dumb and not knowing the value of a dollar!