I want to replace Apple Pages with something new (and less buggy)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac2004, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

I just purchased a new 27 inch iMac and it came with Pages 5.1. This version of Pages is so bad and buggy that I ma thinking about trying out some new Mac software for designing and layout of my newsletters, word processing, etc.

As of today, which software program is a lot better than Apple Pages because this program has really gone down hill in my opinion. It's very buggy. Hell, AppleWorks was much better!! Please help with any of your suggestions!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can get the old iWork on eBay fairly cheaply. You just don't up day and it'll be that nice old version that everyone loves so much.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's always MS Office and of course LibraOffice for the open source advocates.

tbh, I do agree that iWork is a shell of what it once was, and the older version failed to have the depth and breadth of other office apps. Still its nice to have iCloud syncronization and that fills a need. I use both Numbers for extremely basic spreadsheets that I want to access on my iPhone/iPad and computer and Office for everything else.

4. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

Libre Office works well for me--word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, drawing, data base, etc.

Price is right!

5. makinao macrumors regular

I used iWork '09 for my PhD. dissertation. All three apps never let me down.

I haven't used iWork '13 too much yet, except for Keynote. It took a while, but 6.1 can now do pretty much everything 5.3 can.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Double up! Except that graph handling in Numbers is hell.

7. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

You might try Swift Publisher. I have been tempted, too. But I still use Pages 09.

8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Libre Office is pretty sweet.
    Not scriptable via Applescript, but it deals well with docs from other programs.

9. TheBlackLabEdge macrumors newbie

I don't know, been MS Office all my life & accomplished a document in Pages that was taking forever in both Word & Excel - & gave up. Any particulars?

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I typed several resumes with Pages 5.0 because it comes with iCloud so I could finished with iPad. I still use Office 2008 for Mac, I am glad it still work with Maverick. :apple:

11. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

Apple Pages is horrendous!!

The new Apple Pages 5.0.1 is REALLY BAD. Stay away from it and don't buy it. It is one of the worst applications Apple has. AppleWorks was even better!!!!!!!!

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Microsoft Office comes with by far the best word processor available today. Microsoft Word. I don't know what I'd do without it.

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

iWork is great for simple stuff - especially if you need simple stuff that looks pretty! Other than that, the new one sucks :(.

14. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

SwiftPublisher seems to work much better than Pages