I want to restore _windowserver file I put into recycle bin using single user mode

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Blueguy6123, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Blueguy6123, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

Blueguy6123 macrumors newbie

Basically,
    my CPU was being slowed down by "_windowserver". I found the file directory by:

going into Activity Monitor > selected "_windowserver" > I don't remember if I clicked Inspect or Sample.
    I found the file in /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Resources/WindowServer
    I put it in the recycle bin, and everything froze. I restarted my computer and it's stuck at the grey screen on startup.

I imagine to put the file back would be like
    Turn on computer
    Apple+S
    Cd ~/ .Trashes
    ls -a
    And then move file xxxxxx to directory xxxxx.

Help!!!

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Moving the file back should do it just be sure you get the permissions/owners correct.

Code:
    ls -l /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Resources/WindowServer
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    18K 23 Oct 00:20 /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Resources/WindowServer*

If you do not see -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel for the permissions/owners then in the terminal use the following.

Code:
    chmod 0755 /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Resources/WindowServer
    chown root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Resources/WindowServer

3. Blueguy6123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks i made progress but it looks like some other error occurred. I thought i could save my computer but i'm just going to have to reinstall OSX. i read somewhere that i won't lose all my stuff.

thank you so much!