I want to run 10.5.5 how can I?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tomtheman2, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Tomtheman2 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have just bought a ibook g4 so that I could develop my own iphone apps. I downloaded the SDK but it won't open as I need 10.5.5, at the moment I am running 10.3.9. How can I get 10.5.5? Do I just need to do a software update or do I have to buy the disk?

BTW I am completly new to macs and have always used pcs.

Thanks,

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Buy Tiger from Amazon, MacMall, or a related store.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Upgrading from 10.3.9 to 10.5.5 is loosely like upgrading from Windows 2000 or Windows XP to Windows Vista or Windows 7 or whatever.

You have to purchase a retail copy of Leopard (10.5). Then all upgrades within Leopard (10.5.1, 10.5.2, ...) are free, much like service packs in Windows.

It is easier than Windows in the sense that there is essentially only one retail version of Leopard, so you don't have to worry about getting the Home or Pro or Basic or Premium version.

EDIT: Tiger (10.4) will run better than Leopard on that hardware, but if you need Leopard to run the SDK you have in mind, you need Leopard...

4. Tomtheman2 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No... that's someone trying to cheat you by selling you the system restore discs from another Mac. Those can only be used with the Mac they sold with. You want Leopard retail discs, which are black with a big X on them and come in a black box, like this:

[​IMG]

6. belvdr macrumors 601

No, you need a retail copy. Those disks are specifically for a MacBook only.