I want to run a windows HD on my mbp to retrieve data..

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Trance, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

I had a windows desktop and spilled water into the fan which killed the motherboard.
    I would like to take the hard drive (500gb western digital (SATA) currently running windows 7) and somehow load it up on my macbook pro to retrieve music and photos Is there anyway I could do this without having to replace my windows desktop?

2. simsaladimbamba

You could get an S-ATA dock/enclosure and put your 3.5" S-ATA HDD into it and then connect it via USB to your Mac and then normally be able to read the data, if the HDD is not kaputt.

3. Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

mac os x will read the HD even though it's running windows 7?
    will it load up as windows or in files like a external?

4. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Macs can read Windows NTFS, it just can't write to it without a third-party driver such as this -> http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33122/tuxera-ntfs

It's not going to load up like Windows, you put the hard drive in an enclosure and it'll mount to the desktop like any other external drive. From there you'll be able to copy your needed files.

5. Trance, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

one last question, could I delete files from the hard drive like pictures, programs.etc?

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You may get a permission error when trying to delete. But if you copy the files you need you should be able to reformat it as an HTFS+ drive and just continue using it as an external storage drive or even for time machine backups.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Without additional software Mac OS X can only read from NTFS drives. You could delete files by mounting the disk under a Windows VM (you can use Virtualbox or a trial of Parallels/VMWare Fusion and a trial using a free official ISO of Windows 7 if you don't have one).

Of you can install an NTFS driver that enables wire access like NTFS-3G or Paragon.

B